Author Topic: bad luck with Lee mold  (Read 1414 times)

Offline blackpowderbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
bad luck with Lee mold
« on: March 15, 2008, 07:14:14 AM »
I just finished casting some bullets for various guns. I had planned on sating up a bunch of .401 x 175gr for my .40 S&W. I just bought a Lee 6 cavity mold. Well right from the start it went bad. On the first cast the sprue cutter snapped off at the handle.  While trying to get the bullets out so I could send it back, the handle started coming apart. At this point I lost my cool and helped it come apart the rest of the way. It may have been a immature thing to do, but it sure felt good. Over the years I have bought lots of Lee equipment and generally have been satisfied with it, but molds are another subject. This was my 3rd Lee mold. I had a .58 cal mold that had pert near a 32nd inch vertical play between the halves ( in the trash with it),  I have a .457 x 500 gr mold that casts OK bullets, and then the there was the one I  just canned today.
  Has anyone else out had bad luck with lee molds?  Who makes decent iron molds that do not require my to get a second job to afford?
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
Re: bad luck with Lee mold
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:19:30 AM »
I have approximately 20 Lee Moulds and have never had trouble with any except a BP Modern Minnie ball mould. Everything has been fantastic.
My only problems have been operator error.

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 08:45:13 AM »
I have had the spew cuter handle snap on me and ever time it was my fault because it was not closed all the way I have found out that if you do fine it not closed all the way and find out before you break the handle you can put a flat head screwdriver under the pivot point any 9 out of 10 times you will be able to open the mould with out breaking it  D Crockett

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 09:20:07 AM »
wood falls off of every brand of handles i have. The lee spruce pivot breaks because your not casting hot enough and fast enough. Cutting 6 spuces at the same time if there cold is a big job for any mold. Ive broke a few myself.  For the most part lee 6 cavity molds are a pretty good mold for the money. I sure wont say the same about there 2 cavity molds though.
blue lives matter

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 11:12:36 AM »
many lee molds no problems
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline adirondacker

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 01:48:40 PM »
just cast 500 30 cal noses today with a lee mold,no problem except having to drift in the handle pins once it got hot.i have found that the lee require a little more patience,and attention paid to alignment etc.but very nice bullets can be cast with them.i have had problems in the past i tried to contribute to the mold,it wasn't the case.if you do a few things to the mold it seems to help.i epoxy my handles on,and usually end up drifting all the pins with a punch.the trouble is the aluminum expands faster than the steel and things start to loosen,a little punch drifting and everything seems to go fine.good luck,adker

Offline Castaway

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:11:39 PM »
I snapped a sprue plate on my favorite mould and by chance, had it in my truck when I was visiting a buddy that just happened to have his welder out and operating.  Quick fix and as good as new.

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »
I have eight Lee molds all have been perfect, I have one RCBS and its a pain to get hot enough to cast good bullets.  :)
One shot , One Kill

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 04:23:35 AM »
454 -  do you pre-heat your RCBS mould?  For iron moulds, like RCBS or Lyman, I dunk them right into the melt.  You will need to do a bit of experimenting, but here are some numbers to get you started if you want to try it:

Lyman 40 cal 400 gr Snover bullet (#410663, I think)  - In a 20-lb pot, I get the melt (20:1 lead to tin) to 800 degrees, then dip the front edge of the mould into the melt for 1 minute and 45 seconds.  Only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the mould is actually submerged in the molten metal.  This will drop the temperature of the melt to about 775, and that's where I like to cast with this alloy and that mould.  I usually toss the first bullet back in the pot, but starting with the second or third bullet, they're perfect. 

I used to dunk the bare mould right into the melt, but eventually you'll get lead up into the handle screw holes and other places.  So now I cover the bottom and sides of them tightly with heavy duty aluminum foil (it tears easily so be careful). 

Obviously, if your pot is smaller than 20 lb., the alloy temp will drop a lot faster.  You may need to get things hotter to start with. 

This doesn't warp the mould at all.  These bullets are used for match shooting in my Sharps rifles - and if the moulds warped, I'd know it.

If you are using an alloy like Linotype, you don't need to get it anywhere near 800 degrees.  I think you could cast with Lino at around 650? 

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:26:33 PM »
I have a dozen or so Lee moulds.  I have no issues with them what so ever.  I used my six cavity mould for my 10mm yesterday for the first time and had trouble getting good bullets for a while.  Once I got it hot enough, I cast a couple hundred bullets with no problems.  Definitely not handy for casting a few bullets but you can dump a pot of lead though it in a hurry.