Author Topic: How does your .223 Handi Shoot?  (Read 1116 times)

Offline centershot

• Trade Count: (1)
How does your .223 Handi Shoot?
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:31:40 AM »
Considering picking up a new Handi - standard barrel in .223 rem. I have a .17HMR that shoots awesome and would like to get another for the longer shots. I've heard some horror stories about the .243 win Handi's but wonder if it is just caliber specific? - So, how does your shoot? Factory ammo? or reloads? Thanks.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: How does your .223 Handi Shoot?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »
Most of the 243 Handi complaints stem from the Superlight model, the 20" barrel heats up after just a couple shots and groups spread, they're usually very finicky with loads, use the search function and you'll find many, many happy 243 owners as well as the Superlight complaints.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline AKbuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
How does your .223 Handi Shoot?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
centershot,
Mine shoots fine.  I use a light load of Blue Dot so it shoots a little faster than 22 Hornet.  Shoots good with regular reloads, too.  I haven't shot it since summer so I don't have any targets to show you.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline snuffer#1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 11:56:22 AM »
wwb shoot good and my reloads shoot real good also. Rem. Mine doesn't like at all!
                                                                                            thomas
Anything worth learning can't be taught in a classroom.

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 12:09:11 PM »
My .223 handi with a standard contour barrel is an excellent rifle. It likes Remington 55-grain soft points and 45-grain hollow points. I get groups of about 1 inch at 100 yards with either load.
Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:16:42 PM »
My 1:12" Ultra Varmint shoots the unavailable WWB 45gr JHP excellent, the Ultramax 40gr NBT almost as good, with the Black Hills 52gr Match a runner up, got so much WWB that I've never handloaded for it, but I do have dies when or if I ever run out. :D

Tim

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
My 223 Handi will shoot 1-1/4 MOA all day with my reloads. The latch and lug are still not mated up yet so I expect that when they are I'll get MOA.

Mc ;D

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
I have a "Ultra". I have not done much work with it yet (too many other projects). I have got it shooting about 1 1/2" at 100 yards. I have recently pillar bedded it, but have not got a chance to try it out. There are lots of folks that can get theirs under 1" and a few that get down in the .5" range. I think you will be happy with it.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
Guess there's not much hope of Winchester bringing back those 45gr.jhp's.Too bad....they shot nearly as good as my best handloads.At least I've got a lot of brass from all them empty boxes.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 02:01:11 PM »
Maybe after all our boys and girls come home from Iraq. :(

Tim

Offline jdwolf

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »
My 1:12" Ultra Varmint shoots the unavailable WWB 45gr JHP excellent, the Ultramax 40gr NBT almost as good, with the Black Hills 52gr Match a runner up, got so much WWB that I've never handloaded for it, but I do have dies when or if I ever run out. :D

Tim
Tim, 
What is the difference between the Remington .45-grain JHP that I use and the  WWB .45-grain JHP?

Help support concealed carry in Illinois,  show your support.  http://www.cafepress.com/sicc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:32:39 PM »
Dunno other than they're made by two different manufacturers, never shot the Rem, the WWB shoots too good and I have almost 400 rounds of the it, so I seriously doubt I'll ever try any of it. Several members have shot the Rem 55gr and been happy with it, FWIW.

Tim

Offline pap

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:08:03 AM »
I have a.223 handy and after much tinkering with gun and loads I have shot groups of 1" at 200 yards.
I settled on 25.6 grs of H-335 and Hornady 40 gr v-maxs It shoots better than I do.
He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 06:09:27 AM »
My 223 ultra varmint shoots great with the 50 grain v-max and h322. heres what she will do at 100 and 200 yards. I was going to try some h335 40 grain v-max loads this year, but its hard to walk away from a load like this, so i think im sticking to it., I have also got about the same size groups using Reloader 15.

100 yards

200 yards

Offline jlgwiz

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 03:57:26 PM »
 I have been working on the forend and put in the O-ring.  Went to the range this weekend to see what would shoot best in my handi ulta 223.  Tried 55gr Rem soft pt, 55 gr. V-max, 55 gr Fed with Gameking (I believe), 62 or 63 grain soft point, 45 gr Rem hollow pt and 50 gr Rem hollow point. All but the 50 gr Rem were all over the place, 2 to 5 inches.  Rem. 50 gr  were touching.  Tried them several times after shooting the others and every time 1 inch or less.  Guess I found my ammo.  Might try 50gr from another company just to see.

jlgwiz

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 02:14:56 AM »
Right now my best out of box load is the Ultramax 40gr NBT.  I am going to start reloading this year I think, but price to accuracy these are the best. I have the standard barrel at sub MOA at 100 yds.  It has no trouble with ground hogs out at the 200 yd + mark, but I have never put it to paper to see what it looks like at that range.  The only time it spreads is after several shots in quick succession.  My brother bought a handi in the .17hmr, and that caused me to get my .223.  The .17 is a great yard gun, but out past 100 I love my .223.
TJM

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 03:05:43 AM »
I bought my daughter a youth Handi this year in .223. When I first took it out to shoot, I was sorely disappointed and almost took it back. 4 inch or worse groups was the best it would shoot. I found this website, and tried all the accurizing tips in the FAQ's. Below is a picture of a six-shot group that my 8 year old daughter and I shot--three shots each at 75yds. There are other posters with a lot tighter groups(and I say great shooting!), but considering it started out at 4" or more, it shoots very well. This was with the cheapest off the shelf ammo at China-mart.(Remington 55gr. MC)

BTW, ANY heat in the barrel will greatly change the way this gun shoots. You have to shoot--let cool a few minutes, shoot--let cool a few minutes, if there is any heat in the barrel at all it starts stringing badly.

[img width= height= alt=image hosting by https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/]https://www.gboreloaded.com/mhp/images/BIGJOND/sixshotgroup.jpg[/img]

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 08:17:51 AM »
I use both of my .223s for hunting.  The standard Handi does not shoot as well as the Ultra with the longer barrel.  The standard Handi is a 200 yard gun.  Beyond that it scatters them too much.  The Ultra is a true 400 yard gun.  I use 4" clay targets to practice, if it hits the 4" target it will hit a Fox or Coyote in the kill zone. 

JonD is right about the stringing with a heating barrel.  I never shoot more than three shots with out letting the barrel cool.  When hunting it is always one shot out of a cold barrel.  So you never have that problem hunting but it will drive some people crazy at the range.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline chutesnreloads

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2008, 02:05:57 AM »
Anyone tried loading the winchester 46 grain jhp?Tried a couple loads that were not satisfactory.Must admit I havn't put any real effort into making them shoot well.Just wondering....