Author Topic: 22 Hornet SL field report  (Read 1998 times)

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
22 Hornet SL field report
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »
I shot a few rounds out of my 22 Hornet SL this AM. I shot it off of a Caldwell Lead Sled, the one with all of the adjustments. I adjusted so the front bag was under the frame. I can get better groups off of bunny bags, but the Caldwell is so easy to use and really tames the recoil of this gun ::) I made up 2 loads. Both had virgin WW cases and 1 1/2 Remington small pistol primers. The first was with Miid South Varmint nightmare extreme 50 grain premium bullets and 11.5 grains of Lil'gun loaded to 1.820" OAL. The second was with WW 46 grain HP loaded with 12.5 grains of Lil'gun with an OAL of 1.720". I would like one of these bullets to work out because they are cheap. More on that later. I loaded up 25 Mid South 50 grain bullets and 10 WW 46 grain bullets. I had to zero the scope so I bore sighted it the old fashion way at 25 yards. 3 shots and I was a little high. Shot some groups and showed a little promise, but nothing ecstatic. I checked primers and cases for over pressure signs...looked very good. No cratering or flattening of the primers, the cases show the usual slight bulge just above the web. I will be neck sizing from now on. No problems with case extraction; they popped right out in my hand. A lot of vertical stringing. It looked a little high so I made another adjustment down. The last 3 shot group at the sight in target was .62" with the Mid South bullets and centered in the target. I shot a total of 14 shots at the sight in target. I moved back to 50 yards (my 100 yard target stand is surrounded by water and ice right now). I shot 5 three shot groups. Three with the Mid South and 2 with the WW bullets. I shot a total of 29 rounds counting the sight in target and this one. No cleaning between shot strings, just load and shoot. BTW the ejector is very nice with gloved hands. See target below.

I have them numbered in the order shot. The Mid South bullets show some promise and I will be working with them some more. I bought 500 of these @ $36, the best bargain I can find on .224 bullets. I got the WW 46 grain bullets given to me as pulls. I do not know if that had any significance or not with the accuracy. I will vary the powder charge with the Mid South bullets on the next trip out. I have no idea how these bullets will perform on groundhogs. I am not sure I can push them fast enough to expand. I am estimating my MV @ 2650 based on Speer loading data. If these bullets do not work out, I am going to try some of the 35 grain Hornady V-Max and 36 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades. They cost twice as much as the Mid South bullets - OUCH!

Here is a pic of my Handi "Ultra" Hornet. It weighs in at 6.8 pounds as seen. A little butt heavy, but not bad. When I sent it in I had them do a trigger job. It is still a little stiff for my liking, but I am going to work with it a while this way. I did a trigger job on my other "true" Ultra and it is crisp and about 2 pounds. I have pillar bedded the fore end and added a piece of inner tube under the barrel at the end of the fore end. The rest of the fore end is free floated. She opens stiff and feels solid. ;D

Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: 22 Hornet SL field report
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:03:30 AM »
Great report, thanks!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:16:40 AM »
Thanks for the report keep us posted on the Varmint Grenades I got about 25 left from testing with my 223(terrible performance). But would like to try them in my Hornet that I got recently maybe with less velocity they will stay together in the Hornet. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 08:48:35 AM »
Thanks Tim.

I am hoping I can get these groups down another .2 or so at 50 yards. I am looking for solid 1" groups or less at 100 yards. This is encouraging, being I just loaded up some rounds and pulled the trigger. I think I can get them down there with some adjustments in powder, maybe neck sizing will help and a few more shots down the tube will improve it too. I just picked the mid range load and seated the bullets where I thought they looked good. I did not try to reach the lands with the 50 grain bullets even though I think I could. I do not want to over pressure these cases and shorten their lives. I think I am to blame for some of the groups problems too, it was a little nippy out there today :D

PHATINJUN - I am not going to try the other bullets until I have proved to myself, I can not reach the accuracy I want. After that I will be trying them out on some media of some sort to see how they expand. If after either one fails, I will be trying out the other bullets. To me accuracy is number one and then bullet performance. I feel you have to hit it first, then you have to put it down. I have heard good things about the 35 grain V-MAX so if these do not work out, it will probably be my next adventure. I have some of the Barnes on hand and may just try them in passing.  I have not had good luck with them in my 223s, either.

I would really like to have a report on the 50 grain Mid South bullet's performance at the velocities I am talking about. Heck, even a report at any velocity would be good. I am going to work with this bullet in my 223 in the near future. At less than 8 cents each, it is hard to pass up now days. It does not seem that long ago I could get Hornady 50 grain Super Explosives for $6.50 a box in my local store, now they are almost 14 bucks on the Internet and $18 in the local store :( I have I mentioned before, that I am cheap; err I mean, always looking for a bargain?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:26:19 AM »
I think I'm gonna have to try the pistol primers with the 30gr Calhoons and H110, maybe that will eliminate the variations in velocity that I got and tighten the groups up a bit so all the bullets hit close instead of all the flyers!!  ::)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,120095.msg1098400169.html#msg1098400169

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »
The small pistol primers are supposed to tighten up pressure variations according to the Speer reloading manual #14. They lower over all pressures too, allowing more powder to get higher velocities. With out pressure spikes you do not have the fear of blowing a primers. The lightest bullet listed is the Speer 33 grain bullet. Starting loads for Lil' Gun are 13.5 up to 14.0 for 3093 FPS with H110 and WW296 starting is 12.4 at 3198 fps up to 12.8 for 3229 fps. In these light bullets, the H110 and WW 296 out perform Lil'gun. Starting with the 40 grain bullets up through 52 grain, the Lil'gun performs best, by far (200 fps faster). They warn against using rifle primers with their data.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »
All of Hodgdon's data is listed with Win SR primers, IMR uses Rem 6½, but the extreme variations in velocity that I saw with both H110 and Lil'gun warrants a change.  ;)

thx,

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
Good report,bet you get a few more down the tube and play with powder charge and seating depth you will have it shooting good.Mine liked the 40gr bt and v-max over ww296.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:22:28 PM »
I had worked up a load using WW 296 for my Contender with 10" 22 Hornet barrel. It was the best powder I had tried. I tried 2400 and 4227 before settling in on the WW 296. I was using small rifle primers as that is what ALL reloading data called for at the time. It seems to me that they even warned not to use small pistol primers due to not handling the "high" pressure of the Hornet. There was no Lil'gun back then for it either. I did blow a primer now and then, even though I was not touching the lands or using full loads. My how far we have come, since the development of new powders and better technology in pressure testing. It is curious that with the 33 grain bullet that the 296/110 out performed Lil'gun, but in the 40 and higher bullets, Lil'gun was the ticket by a wide margin. They mentioned that curiosity in the manual.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:04:15 PM »
I got the standard barrel with the green camo lams. It's a very nice package. Shoots good without the fore-end. I have just recently bedded the fore-end but still haven't managed a trip to the range to check the results of the mod. I hope it will shoot off a bipod as I have a place in mind to hunt ground hogs close to a city this spring, if spring ever comes that is.

Mc

Offline SM Bob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »
Check out the Sierra Hornet bullets in 40gr & 45gr. In my regular Hornet the 45gr always give me 1"
or less at 100 yards with Remington brass, 12.0 grains of Lil' Gun, and Winchester small rifle primers
with a c.o.l. of 1.765". I neck size and use a Lee factory crimp die. I don't have a chrono, so I don't
know for sure about the velocity, but I can't complain about the consistency of the groups. One
thing I have found about the bulk .22 caliber bullets like the 46gr WW is the weight of the bullets
is not as consistent as the Sierra's. I think that effects the accuracy considerably.

Robert

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
The Mid South 50 grain bullets look suspiciously like the Speer Spitzer bullets. Mid South will not say who makes them for them, but it has to be one of the big houses. 

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »
Update - I did a little more shooting this AM I had some 50 Mid South bullets to the same OAL loaded up with 11.7 and 11.9 grains of Lil'gun.

Notice shot string #3 I guess a blind man finds a piece of bread once in a while. One thing that puzzles me is the shift in center. I will check the mounts and see if they can be loose. On several occasions I get two close together then get one going off. #3 is in the middle of the "eye" but #1 and #5 are to the lower left, with the same load. I am going to cross the 11.9 grain load off my list.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 10:50:41 AM »
Assuming the latch and shelf are clean and dry, it could be the latch and shelf just aren't well mated yet, so lockup isn't identical each time. Try this trick, put a little flitz on the latch shelf and cycle the action a bunch, then clean it off.  I've tried valve grinding compound, but I think it might be too aggresive, something in between would be better I think.  ;)

Tim

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 12:35:11 PM »
I will try that Tim. I have 59 bullets down the tube and can't stand it any more. I was going to shoot this with out cleaning very much, just have to, habit I guess.  I have a second application of foam in her now. I ran a few 40 V MAX down the tube this AM and did not get very good results. I have a lot of vertical stringing, but not always. It could be the latch lock up. It locks up real tight and I snap it shut each time. I have not checked the mounts yet, will do after I get it cleaned up. despite the larger than wanted groups, I do have a good feeling about it. I really do like the rifle. Since I am talking about the foam, I inserted a smaller OD flex tube in the foam tube. I was getting a lot of foam coming back out the breach. Now it all shoots down the barrel like it should. It is about .25 OD; it seems to fit into the chamber much better. The original one had to stretch a little to get it in. I think I will have two cans going, one with this in it and one with a larger diameter tube stuck on it for my 35's and 44's.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
I have several different sizes of tubing to work on different rifles/chamberings, put whatever together that fits right, put a 1 liter pop bottle over the muzzle to capture the excess and use it as a liquid on patches. ;)

Tim

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 01:30:05 PM »
Hey since you are going to have a clean barrel,and flitz the latch shelf, why not go ahead and polish the bore with flitz? It worked great on one of my 223s and speeded up the break in of barrel. Just a thought.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »
Thanks dw06 I have already did that. I have been known to go back and do it several more times, depending on how the barrel cleans up. It usually is the first thing I do when I get a new barrel. I do agree with you, it definitely speeds up breaking in the barrel and it helps prolong the cleaning between times. This barrel did not need cleaned that badly, I just seem to start feeling bad after a little while, If I do not clean them. Old habits die hard.

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:36 PM »
Have you tried your fire formed brass in reloads yet?

Of the bullets listed for Woodchuck hunting,  the W-46 gr HP would be the best.

I just ordered some Calhoon 37 gr DBL HP's to load up for my Winchester Mod. 70 S.G. 22 Hornet, Woodchuck hunting.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2008, 01:34:39 AM »
No I haven't tried any fire formed yet. I have a 100 piece lot that I was trying to get through. I have 41 more to go yet. When I get to that point I have a Lee collet die for the job. I was hoping I could find a good load before I got through them, but not yet. On the other hand, I do not know how much influence I have on this mix either. I have got some decent groups with the 50 grain bullets. The trigger pull is fairly heavy for my taste. I like a relatively light pull. I have gotten vertical strings, but also some horizontal ones too. That tells me, that I maybe at fault here too. I have a hard time concentrating on trigger pull with gloves on and 20 degrees out. I am used to light pulls in my other rifles and usually only have my finger on the trigger with nothing else touching. This is way too heavy for that. I need the trigger time anyway. I would like to get some cheap bullets to work, but will settle for any thing that works. I am going to order some more bullet types soon to try out. I had the WW 46, 40 V MAX and a few Barnes 36 grain grenades on hand that I think are suitable for the 22 Hornet I was hoping the Mid South 50 grain bullets would work and they show some promise. I have no idea what kind of MV it takes to open these up. I have been watching and asking what kind of experience anyone has had, but have not heard or seen a thing. I think I will order some more of the WW 46 grain, 35 V MAX and Speer 33 grain bullets. All of the cases have been loaded up with Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers. The only other small pistol primers I have are CCI 550 magnum and WW WSPM that I have to shoot heavy 357 loads with. I am not sure how they would react in this small case. I also have many different small rifle primers. I have some Federals, Remington 6 1/2, WW and a large supply (for me) of CCI BR4 and Remington 7 1/2. The Remington 7 1/2 is my favorite primer in my 221's, 222 and 223 rifles. Just keep plugging, I guess this is what makes it a challenge.   

Offline just bill

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2008, 09:24:57 AM »
The Re. 6 1/2 SRP would be the other good primer out of that list IMo

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 05:34:38 AM »
Another Update - I found some Hornady 45 grain Hornet bullets in my stash. Naturally I had to try them. I loaded up 9 of these with 12.5 grains of Lil' Gun. I also loaded up some 40 V MAX with 13.0 grains of Lil'Gun. Also some 36 Barnes Grenades with 13.0 grains of Lil'Gun and 12.0 grains of WW 296. I finished shooting through the entire 100 cases that I had primed with Remington 1 1/2 primers. I now have 100 rounds down the tube. I think I am going to abandon the Mid South 50 grain bullets even though they shown some promise because of doubtful expansion at Hornet velocities. I still have not found anyone or seen any thing about the performance of the 50 grain Mid South bullets. I probably will regulate them to my 223's. I added another piece of inner tube under the barrel. I expected the POI to change up and it did. My first shot barely touched the target at the top. I made adjustments down and the shot at the lower right diamond. Notice the three shoots  to the right center of the page. So I made another adjustment down and was in the ball park then.

I then shot the group in the upper right with the Barnes bullets. I though I really had some thing going here. More on that latter. I then shot 40 V MAX and 3 more Mid South bullets. The 45 grain Hornady Hornet bullets was the last one I shot on this page. It was .44" - Looking good. I moved to the next target.

I shot another group of 4 of the 36 Barnes this time with 12.0 grains of WW 296. I could not find it on the paper. upon closer examination, I found 4 holes in the wood below the target that were in various stages of going sideways. Cross the WW 296 of the list. I still had high hopes for the 13.0 grains of Lil'Gun look at first target. I then shot a V Max Bullet with 12.5 grains of Lil'Gun. I then went back to the Barnes 36 grain bullet. Shot three times and never hit the target. I then looked at the first target closer and now I think that one bullet missed the target, one went in sort of straight and one key holed. Cross the Barnes of the list. I shot alternating 40 V Max and 45 Hornet bullets for the next four strings. I was getting horizontal and vertical strings with the 40 grain V MAX bullets???  I think I am going to cross off the V MAX bullets too. With the 45 grain Hornady bullets, I got one decent group and the other two were at least groups that were under an inch. I am going to neck size now and load up some different primers and work on the 45 Hornet bullets with Lil Gun powder. I think I will try some of the WW WSPM and some WW 6 1/2 small rifle primers (yep they are old). I do not know how the WSPM will react so I will drop down the powder charge to the bottom and work my way up. I will prime and load 9 at a time (3 - 3 shot groups) to see how they do. While I have found that sweet load yet, I have found some things that will not work. I do not know when I can get back to this, but will report when I do. I really do like this gun, It sure feels solid. I do not think that the extra piece of inner tube made much difference in the she shot, so next time it will be 1 thickness again. I will have to adjust the scope back up now as it will probably shoot too low.