Author Topic: The "royals" again..  (Read 609 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
The "royals" again..
« on: March 02, 2008, 03:40:43 AM »
   Anyone that has been on GBs for very long may realize that I am not a fan of the "Royals"..I mean UK royals, not KC royals..LOL

I have no great sympathy for the "relationship" problems they get into, and I think some people here dote too much up[on their adventures/misadventures.
     We Americans decided nearly 250 years ago..that we were sick of royalty, let's not resurrect it !

That being said, I must give credit where credit is due..Young Harry served in Afghanistan, and he served in an infantry unit, apparently as a platoon leader in direct contact with the crazies. It appears he must have done so, or the British tabloids would be screaming "foul". All the royal family in Britain are targets for home-grown terrorists
   and this will up his personal odds of some nut trying..so he carries an extra burden.  There is talk of William also serving on a navy ship in the mideast.

Seeing the news videos, I did have to remark upon the HAIR..won't see it with our guys !

But, much as I don't care for "royalty"..I take my hat off to Harry..one of the vets !

I also must add that apparently he has a bit more courage than some young men in this country..royals or non-royals...LOL
     ;)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: The "royals" again..
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:37:37 AM »
TM7 I agree that mostly alot of it is PR, and I give him all the support he and anyone else that is over there fighting!!  Only one question what are you doing about the war while you are sitting here critizing everyone and everything about it?  Remember at least I LIKED the advocate.   JIM

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:16 AM »
I am rather upset with the members of the PRESS that set him and his fellow solders to be killed.  
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 10:06:55 AM »
I am rather upset with the members of the PRESS that set him and his fellow solders to be killed.  
Maybe, but if they were getting ready to pull him out, the news release would get 2 or 3 birds in one shot.  Otherwise, he's a good guy and did a job, except it probably took a company and support around him to keep him safe. Kind of a 'private ryan' thing on grander scale.....just a theory.

....TM7

Another theory based on fact or is this conjecture disguised as theory?
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 11:05:48 AM »
I thinks is a case of the Media running with a story instead of looking to the greater good. Harry is (was) where he wanted to be with his men the royals are not the sherkers some want to make the out to be . the get in to the same messes we do . but are expected to be perfect. Their not. 
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline buffermop

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »
They should send the "old lady" queen to Afghanistan. ;D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 02:40:25 PM »
  As I previously stated, he is at least doing a "manly" thing..and even though a "royal" ..he has shown up thousands of shirkers on either side of the pond..

Three cheers for Harry..not a "do as I say" guy..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:45:24 PM »
The Brits are a renowned lot of brave folks---history is quite on point about this.
The royalty are also pretty well documented to doing duty---I am not so sure why this isn't evident.
My name is Close and that is about as close to being British as you can get without a passport from there---- ;) :-*---tongue in cheek and with LOL
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:14:59 AM »
 William;
   You are correct on that thought ! The Brits have always held courage and duty in high esteem. I can recall as a young GI serving in Germany when we were "occupation
    forces", which included American, French, British and a few of the allied armies in small numbers. Serving amongst us were troops from the Bundeswehr, the new
   German army.
   That was before I was saved, and like many young troops from all nations, if you get them in close proximity, there are going to be macho "dustups" between the various "armies".
     Sorry, if anyone gets bothered..but we did not consider most of the other armies' troops as real fighters ...except for the British..they would eye-to-eye, and
    toe-to-toe with us..and give as good as they got !

Alas, that was many years ago and I have been saved since, so my attitude is much different !

...Historical note: The "occupied" status of Germany did not end until I had served some of my tour there..it was in 1962, about 17 years after the war ended..
    ..and we still have troops there, 69 years after WW2 started.