Author Topic: question about jb's and bore break in  (Read 526 times)

Offline wvmountainman

• Trade Count: (0)
question about jb's and bore break in
« on: February 24, 2008, 09:42:07 AM »
I have some lapping compound that I used to fire lap my 44 with beartooth bullets.Is this the same as using jb's to polish the barrel? I didn't want to order something I already have.Thought maybe you folks have used both and can compare the two.thanks in advance for any replies.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
Re: question about jb's and bore break in
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:50:00 AM »
Lapping compound is too agressive and will damage the barrel. Use JB.

Mc

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
Lapping compounds come in lots of different grits from really coarse to super fine. Which you have determines what it does but no it's unlikely it will be even remotely as mild an abrasive as JB Bore Paste which is a super fine grit. It is an abrasive but it's a really fine one.

Even the final lap compound in fire lapping kits is likely much more coarse than JB.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wvmountainman

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 01:52:11 PM »
the process is the same for fire lapping at the end, 50 strokes until barrel is heated to polish the bore.but ,I will try JB's

Thanks

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:02:51 AM »
Just curious about which lapping process you follow.

LBT and Beartooth both recommend the 50 stroke polish after lapping.  IIRC, Beartooth recommends 320 grit Clover grease mix lapping compound & I'm not sure what LBT puts in his compound.  Repackaged Clover?  Looks the same.  I have cans of 320 & 400 grit Clover at home.

To me, JB is a mild abrasive cleaner vs. a lapping compound.

I have used both, JB for initial cleaning of a new Handi barrel and Clover/LBT after firelapping microgroove Marlins, Rugers & Remingtons.

Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 10:12:32 AM »
I've never tried the JB bore paste so can't comment, but have used the Flitz on a couple handi rifle barrels. It smoothed one up in about 50 strokes, and the other took a few more at around 80 or so.Don't think I'd use the lapping compound.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:44:36 PM »
I have never fire lapped a barrel. I have read that it is way too abrasive in the throat area and not enough in the muzzle area. All of the abrasive gets worn off by the time it gets to the end of the barrel. When you get the end of the barrel "lapped" you have shot out the throat. On the other hand, I understand that people have done this and liked the results. I guess I am too chicken to try it. I have polished untold barrels with polishing compound of some kind. I have used Flitz, JB bore paste and Mothers Metal Polish. I do not think I have hurt a single barrel doing this. In some cases, I have helped a lot. I had an A&B SS 223 barrel that was supposed to be air gaged with .0003" from one end to the other. It may be, but it was so rough inside that I would have it copper fouled after 5 shots. It would shoot in the .5 to .6 range at 100 yards for the first 5 shots and then start going all over the map. I polished it and polished it then polished it some more. I am not sure how many times I went over it. I would shoot 20 rounds clean it and then polish. I did this at least for 6 cycles with any where from 100 - 150 strokes each. Now it does not copper foul until way past 50 rounds and shoots into under .5 every time; some times into less that .3".
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.