Author Topic: Reloading for the Handi  (Read 639 times)

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Reloading for the Handi
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:11:10 PM »
I haven't reloaded for a number of years but I'm getting back into it. I'm starting to enjoy all of my old hobbies that were important to me at one time. So this might seem like a stupid question. I've read on one Post on this forum that Handi's like FL sized rounds. I'll be reloading for a 204 and had planned on neck sizing. Before I buy the dies can someone steer me in the right direction. Also my goal is to tweak as much accuracy out of this Handi as I possibly can. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Dave

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Reloading for the Handi
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »
You can always partial resize with a full length size die, but you can't with a neck size die, so go for the FL die set and just back the die off enough to keep headspace to a minimum. Due to the flex in the Handi action, you'll likely get some case length growth, specially with warmer loads, you'll need to be able to move the shoulder back after a loading or three, depending on your load.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
For my 204 I bought Redding dies. The neck sizing is done separately from body sizing employing a bushing die so I can neck size down as little as I want Then I can partially size the body(bump the shoulder). They are very nice dies but are pricey.

Mc

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 01:54:38 PM »
Do you have to FL size every time or can you do it every other or so loading? I usualy neck size my brass if I only use it in one gun.
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 02:02:58 PM »
You'll know when you try to load one of the fired pieces of brass into the chamber before reloading it, if it's not flush to the chamber face or real close to it, the action won't close all the way due to negative headspace, then it will need to be full length sized just enough to chamber properly.

Tim

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 03:59:16 PM »
That works I will have to give it a try.
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline KansasPaul

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 03:20:18 AM »
The Lee Deluxe Rifle die set comes with a FL die and collet die just for resizing the neck - for a novice reloader this provides greater options especially if you have more than 1 rifle chambered in .223.

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:46:00 AM »
Several of the Handi barrels that I have owned had rather generous size chambers.  Because of this it was always necessary for me to full length resize the rounds if there was the possibility that the cartridge might be used in another gun of the same caliber with a smaller chamber. The good thing was that it forced me to give up on my Lee Classic loaders and start using a press.  It was just the small nudge that I needed.

RJ

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 03:58:29 PM »
    I'm new here & see this as " the" place for info on the handy.  I have a SB2 in 30-06 & the chamber is" hogged" out @ the top, about 1/4" up from the base, about .006".  This causes the shell to"fire form" to this shape requiring me to place reloaded shells in the chamber with this "hump" up. I neck size only & I'm afraid full length sizing would put too much stress on the shell to take the defect out. The rifle groups about 1 1/4" & I took a deer with it last fall, so I guess it's not"too bad" for $250 "out the door".  Also the firing pin hits the primer off to one side & I've been told this means the bore is off center. I wanted to buy a fluted 243 BB & a 308 BB & maybe later a 280 but I'm reluctant to do so if more of "this" can be expected.   I would really like to hear from some handy owners as to rather this is typical or what one might do.             ???    Thanks    Jim   
Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
If it's a factory fitted barrel, I'd send it in for replacement, but if you have an ejector barrel now, it will come back with an extractor barrel, as will the accessory barrels you order.

I have forty-two H&Rs, all but 7 are centerfire rifles, none have the problems you speak of, so I'd say it's not common, and don't recall any being that bad, if it was, H&R would have replaced it, their CS is top notch. ;)

Tim

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:18:17 PM »
    :)  Thanks  Tim .  It is a standard barrel & it's good to know they will take care of it.    ;D   Jim !
Jim

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 04:26:05 PM »
Give em a call and make arrangements for it to be replaced while it's there for barrel fitting, might as well get a free trigger job while it's there too and maybe even have em cover shipping for your trouble.  ;) toll free (866)776-9292

Tim