Author Topic: found cannons  (Read 731 times)

Offline rmagill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
found cannons
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:25:14 PM »

Offline jeeper1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: found cannons
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
I saw that on tv.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
The ship they think the cannons came from was the SHARK (ships weren't called "USS___" until 1911.)  The only published list of armament for that ship shows 10 each, 18-pounder carronades, and 2 each, 9-pounder guns, which would have all been iron.  When I look at the lump they have suspended from the front-end-loader, it looks to be only about the length of the bucket, maybe 4 feet?   I don't think that's long enough for one of the 9-pounders, and the profile of one of the guns on top of the lump doesn't look like a carronade, so I can't tell what they've got.  Anyway, it'll be interesting when they get the stuff cleaned up, especially if they can read any of the marks.  I can find unpublished lists, such as the last-known list of the ship's gun battery, including all the marks on each one, if they find anything to compare it with.

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 11:38:03 PM »
I read somewhere else that the cannons they found each weigh between 800-1000 lbs., so they possibly be the 18 pr. carronades.  I think naval 9-pounders would weigh a good bit more than that, but I haven't done any detailed checking.