Author Topic: Cannon Model  (Read 511 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Cannon Model
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:25:40 PM »
Here’s something I’ve had since my childhood……… My mom bought it at a yard sale for .50 cents,

It had about three coats of old white house paint on it, She gave it to me when I was 10. (1970)
I have seen others like it over the years some just like this one and others chromed or nickeled but no one seems to know much about them,
it looks like it is based on a Naval 6 Pndr. breech loader from the 1890’s.
Are they shop projects? Presentation pieces? Or some sort of Yacht cannon? 
The base is well cast as are the trunnions and caps. So who’s got the answer?

Barrel length 11 1/8”
Height  3 7/8”
Caliber .25
Breech 7/8” muzzle swell ½”
It has 5 holes along the base so it can be mounted to a board.
Yes it goes Bang! :)

Thanks,

Allen <><

Just a little edit.... couldn't get to my Black powder so I used the .22 ammo I figured most people could reference them for size. I will keep a powder can handy in the future. A.B.

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Cannon Model
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:56:31 PM »
As far as I know, these were made at the Washington Navy Yard.  I've got to check with a friend who told me the story once.  They may have been made by apprentices.  The Naval Gun Factory at the Washington Navy Yard was a major industrial facility and I'm sure had formal apprentice training programs.  Making something like that would show skills in machining, patternmaking, mould setup, casting, etc.  I should see the friend within a couple of weeks and will as again.  Meanwhile I'll go look at one or two I think I still have around here.  These may have been made in a few different sizes too.