Author Topic: REVOLVER OR SEMI-AUTO  (Read 1842 times)

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: REVOLVER OR SEMI-AUTO
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
   For me it's revolvers, single actions to be more precise and even better if they're Rugers.  I just prefer shooting them over autos that's all.  I like the classic style and design and the classic cartridges they're chambered for.  It's the history they have I guess. 
  I do have some semi-autos, mostly all HK's.  I like 'em but they just lack the personality a nice revolver has.  I can see the benefits of each though within a particular use.  Not against either of course so long as they'r eused safely an ethically.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
I own and shoot both, but, they are all American made!
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Greenmountain50

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
Just want to say I have found this very informative to say the least. I am currently in the market for handgun to keep around the house and perhaps carry.  The sole purpose would be self defense around the house and maybe at work. Since I am not very experienced in hand guns it seem the best way for me to go is a revolver though I was leaning toward the semi-auto.  I have a working knowledge of the revolver and have shot a few but the semi-auto I have had very little if any contact. Anyway just wanted to say thank you for a very good thread--sure gave me alot to think about.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2008, 03:12:34 PM »
By all means, get some professional training!!!
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline .357 shooter

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »
Back when I started my Law enforcement career with a small sheriffs dept. I carried a S&W 686. I loved this gun so needless to say I am a big time revolver fan. But in the 80's we switched to a Glock 23 that was issued. They would not let us keep or buy the 686, so I lost it. I cried oh did I cry over that revolver. Anyways I actually got to love this weird contraption and shot it as well as my beloved revolvers. And to this day, I carry a glock 23 on the job and personal protection in public places. But when I am in the woods or around the house or hunting My Ruger single actions are on my side. Like others have said nothing like the feel of a ruger single action.
In my opinion the only advantages an auto has over revolvers is capacity, easier to load in the dark and maybe for the average person quicker to load. So alot is personal preference.
New York State! Home of high Taxes......

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 01:44:38 PM »
I've got both. but as for speed of reloading; a speed loader and a double action revolver, with practice can fire as many rounds in a timed shoot as an auto.  Revolvers are workhorses and have a longer history of use than the auto, they're easier to clean and maintain.  If you don't mind the extra care, the auto's have proven themselves in several conflicts, and a few wars

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 04:35:46 AM »
I have to admit my great fondness for a nice single action.  There is nothing that seems so proper as walking around the woods with a nice single action in a good holster.  But that said, most of the time when I leave the house and a walk in the woods is not on the itinerary, I have a 1911 .45 on my hip (my second love).  The 1911's get carried more, but my real love is for a leisurely day with a single action and some targets of opportunity.  How I miss the days growing up when I would walk the old farm with a crossman SAA clone CO2 powered bb gun on my hip!  That old gun terrorized a lot of dirt clods and sticks floating in the creek!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!