Author Topic: Do your spent cases fit?  (Read 709 times)

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
Do your spent cases fit?
« on: March 04, 2008, 02:50:06 AM »
After my 1st round the fired round will not fit back into the chamber. (Poor lock up closing the chamber with the spent shell still in it.)  I think Tim called it "negative headspace".  And the brass will stick in the chamber such that I have to use a cleaning rod to get it out.
This happens on both my .243 ejector and my 22-250 extractor.
It looks like I would have to index my shells and put them back in the same position (indexing the brass) so they would fit.

Does this happen to every one?
Is this something normal or need to be sent back to the factory?

I would hate to send it back to the factory for a "normal" situation.  Don't want to waste their time and mine, just GB's.  ;D
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Do your spent cases fit?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 03:22:04 AM »
Unless the chamber is out of round or the standing breech out of square, I don't see how indexing case to chamber would make any difference, but it would be an easy, no cost experiment, why not try in and then you tell us. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 03:52:30 AM »
Is this happening before or after you resize the brass ?

If after - FL or just neck sizing ?

Have you used a feeler guage to check your breach face gap ?

Is your chamber clean and dry ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 04:58:41 AM »
I fullength resize for both of my breakover rifles.If I don't I have to slam the action shut very hard several times to get it to lock up right.I can tell on my CVA,by looking at my lever if its locked up tight,and my handi's don't make the right kind of clunk when I chamber a necksized rd.Mine don't shoot worth a darn if not locked up solid.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 06:52:52 AM »
With almost all my guns, the first time I fire a case I have to trim it.  Those cases will not refit into the chamber.  After that the number of times I reload between trimming varies with the load.  Due to case length, of the spent case, I can't rechamber them if they meet max length.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 06:56:44 AM »
Stimpy,
My action closes fine empty or with new factory loads or with FL sized reloads.

What is happening is I fire a round, take the shell out and look at it.  Then try to put it back in the gun and close it.
When I do that it has a gap at the breach face, both barrels.  The fired brass doesn't look like it is round when you put it back in.  Check out my "Is this case head separation?Pics" thread.

I measured from the middle of the shoulder to the base on new and fired rounds.
The 22-250 grows .010" and the .243 grows .015"

I think my gunsmith is going to call Gordan at NEF, I don't think either chamber is correct......?
Got:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:11:10 AM »
Try rotating a spent case and see if there's one spot where it will go all the way into the chamber, that would indicate one of the conditions Coyotejoe mentioned, either an egg shaped chamber or the barrel to breech isn't square. In either case, FL or partial FL sizing should solve the problem. A chamber cast would tell you more, your smith should be able to do that although you could too, it's easy with Cerrosafe, see the FAQs for info. You can check the barrel to chamber fit with feeler guages, check on both sides to see if there's more of a gap on one side than the other with the barrel locked up on an empty chamber. Just place the blade tip flat against the standing breech at the right angle to the side of the frame and close the action on it, start thin and work up until you feel resistance when you pull it out. It may lock up tight on .002", and be slightly more loose on one side than the other on a .0015" blade for example.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 02:17:50 PM »
   "Snap",  see my post on page 3 under "Reloading for the Handy" ?  Good Luck !   :)
Jim

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 07:02:58 AM »
Had my gunsmith look at the barrels and the .243 headspace is excessive and the 22-250 is marginal using the "Go and No Go" gauges.
He called NEF and they will "look" at my .243 barrel, but because I bought the 22-250 here they will not look at it, period.

Now what?
Got:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 07:08:50 AM »
You bought the 22-250 barrel second hand here, or an entire rifle? They'll only work on factory fitted barrels, so you're on your own on the 22-250 unless you know who has the frame for it and can have them send the entire rifle back. I would just deal with it by fire forming the brass to the chamber and not pushing the shoulder back each time, just enough to close the action to complete lock up. ;)

Tim

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 07:20:23 AM »
I FL re-size everything since I have multiple guns in each caliber.  Habit I started when I started reloading.  At that time I shot a 30-06 Pump and the wife shot a 30-06 semi-auto.  So I was loading the same ammo for two different guns.

Yes, I do load special loads for my Handi 30-06, but they shoot well through my Encore also.  There again same rounds different guns.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 07:22:24 AM »
Just the 22-250 barrel from a member here.

My gunsmith said this much headspace is dangerous....
Got:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 07:37:20 AM »
Just the 22-250 barrel from a member here.

My gunsmith said this much headspace is dangerous....

Only if it's due to a too much gap between barrel and frame and using factory ammo. If it locks up tight on the frame with no forend on it, shooting fire formed handloads will work fine, you can use the improved chamber handloading techniques in the FAQs to fire form brass just as I did for the 280 Improved. Or sell the barrel and look for one that fits better and/or has a better chamber.

Tim

Offline Down South

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
This is a good thread,.I'll have to try that when I get home.