Author Topic: Casting for the 357 Sig  (Read 571 times)

Offline Turk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Casting for the 357 Sig
« on: February 23, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
Anyone cast a round for the 357 Sig.?  If so I'd be interested in hearing about what you're using.

Turk
In God I trust all others bring data.
If you know you're going to a gunfight take a rifle.
Life Member 1/50th Infantry Association (Vietnam)
Member of the 173rd Airborne Association
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline calvon

• Contributor
Re: Casting for the 357 Sig
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »
I've been casting for the .357 Sig for about five years. Using LBT molds, two of them, one throwing a wheel weight bullet at 161 grains and the other throwing a wheel weight bullet at 137 grains. Both are Flat Nose design. I'm quite happy with them. I'm using AA #7 powder and get about 1050 fps with the 161 grain and 1150 fps with the 137 grain. I also use 147 grain Speer Gold Dot bullets at 1100 fps. All of them work well.

I use RCBS full length resizer  and seater dies, Lyman M die for neck expanding, and Redding taper crimp die to finish up with. I use Starline brass.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »
Just a thought. In case you don't know, the .357 Sig  is a 9mm and not a .357. The name is something of a misnomer. So if you buy bullets for it, or buy a mold for it, be sure they are 9mm.

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 01:10:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply s.  I have a round nose mold but I have to seat the bullet pretty deep to get it to say within the OL.

Thanks again.

Turk
Life member NRA & ORPA

Offline Turk

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »
Took my M&P 357 sig. out today and shot Winchester and Speer GD Lawman ammo my handloads with PMC FMJ, Gold Dot and alloy Round nose 125 gr.  The round nose is a Lee bullet that I use in my 9's.  I was quite impressed with the accuracy and recoil was no big deal.  The Winchester shot the tightest groups.  I used AA 7, 9 and Hod. Longshot.  The Longshot was top end MV.  My only complaint is when you touch off a round it's like standing behind a F-16 when the driver kicks it into afterburner.  Any suggestions on a lower flash producing powder?

Turk
Life member NRA & ORPA