Author Topic: Lathe accident.  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Lathe accident.
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:00:09 PM »
 Since many of us use lathes for our projects, I thought I might tell this story here...

Day before yesterday, an employee in the shop where I work was polishing a pin in a large lathe at ~2000 RPM. He used a cloth shop rag to wipe off the grit while the spindle was on, rag wrapped around the pin and the ring finger on his right hand was twisted off at the first knuckle (about 1" from the tip).

When he came to me, he had the finger still wrapped in the rag. Doctors at the hospital were not able to reattach it.

This is a smart guy with 20+ years' experience in the shop. He appears to have been in a hurry, and broke a safety rule. He may have done the same thing thousands of times without ill effect, but this time it got him.

It could have been much worse - I read an accident report some years ago where a similar thing happened to a guy, but his entire hand made about three revolutions before the rag ripped free. His hand, wrist and forearm were badly damaged and he never regained much use of them even after multiple surgeries.

Don't take safety shortcuts when dealing with cannons OR powerful machinery.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Re: Lathe accident.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 01:36:43 AM »
Victor -

THANKS for posting this.  SAFETY is of course our #1 concern.  (Also thanks for not posting pictures.)

It often scares me to know that my 13x38 lathe has a 4 HP motor.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:15:01 AM »
It often scares me to know that my 13x38 lathe has a 4 HP motor.

Even one HP is a lot more than one man power.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Terry C.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • I see what you did there...
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
This is something that bothers me a lot about the place I work. Lately, they've taken to letting anyone that can throw the switch use our lathe.

Mostly they do simple things, like polishing rusty pins (see a trend here?).

It supposedly makes the work go faster if they don't have to wait for someone qualified to come do it for them, but IMO it's a disaster waiting to happen. All of these guys are younger than me, some half my age, and they are indestructible.

They also do stupid stuff like leaving the key in the chuck, or leaving the head in gear (or both, which can make the whole shop duck for cover).

I've been around machine tools for most of my working life and even so, I slip up now and then (and I have the scars to prove it).

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:11:37 PM »
Lately, they've taken to letting anyone that can throw the switch use our lathe.

I'm surprised your workman's comp carrier allows them to let untrained employees use the machine.  I'll bet the insurance premium is going up soon.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 09:22:42 PM »
Unfortunately the premiums will not go up until after the accident....

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 01:21:18 AM »
The work place is not the only place unqualified people throw switches....
while I was in collage for Gun Smiting we had a gentleman who had a very
high IQ knew 5 languages 3 forms of sign language (he was almost deaf and used hearing aids)
he was taking the course because he had no practical knowledge of  tools and how to use them.
I was at the far end of the room looked over and saw him cleaning a 10" lathe before I could say
or do anything he turned on the lathe to make it easier to clean the feed screw with a rag!
Thankfully he lost his grip on the rag and it slapped harmlessly against the machine.
Another day I hear this high pitch squealing coming from his lathe smoke is going loft from the
tailstock I walk over tap him on the shoulder and point to the smoke he shuts the machine off. The
lighting caused an annoying noise in his hearing aids so he would turn them off....... the smoke
was from a brand new live center he destroyed, he had it cranked so tightly into the end of the
barrel he was working on it was almost locked up, that was the first and only time I saw a center
with ball bearings fried like that.

My last job had a nice machine shop there were only two people allowed to use it, the owner and
me. I still have the use of it. Its a little strange walking into a company you no longer work for and
get to use it's equipment, but I have a good relationship with the owner.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium