Author Topic: Lee Hardness Tester  (Read 1234 times)

Offline cooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lee Hardness Tester
« on: February 22, 2008, 10:52:21 AM »
I just got a Lee hardness tester, and wonder if anyone knows the "formula" relating the size of the indentation, to the BHN?

Lee includes a chart, but the chart stops at a indentation size of .079" which is equivalent to a BHN of 8.0.  I shoot a lot of soft, blackpowder bullets which are softer than 8.0.  I've messed around with the numbers on the chart to try to figure out the mathematical relationship, but can't come up with anything. 

Does anyone know?

Offline 7-30 Waters

• Avid Poster
Re: Lee Hardness Tester
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 05:40:26 PM »
The Brinell Hardness of pure lead is 6.  I guess what ever the dimple size is with pure lead would be your standard.  30 to 1 is about 8.  I suppose you could make some relationship between these two.

Hope this helps.

Offline threepdr

• Avid Poster
    • Eras Gone Blog Spot
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:20:49 PM »
I just got mine today and noticed the same thing.  I'm also checking for "softness" more than "hardness".  If you look at the chart you will see that the increments decrease in predictable amounts based on the listings that are on the chart.  I made an appendix to the chart that carries it down to the maximum reading availible in the microscope which is 1.0.

Theorectically anything that reads 0.7 on the scale should be soft enough for round balls and minnie balls.

Some lead I have on hand that I know is very soft read .09 and 1.0

Good Luck
See my history and archaeology blog at:  http://erasgone.blogspot.com/

Offline Harry O

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
I had the same problem.  I worked up a chart to extend it down to 5.0 (it is strictly mathematical).  It won't post here since it is in an excel spreadsheet.  Here is an article I wrote that includes the graph.  It is about 3/4 of the way down.

Offline Harry O

• Trade Count: (1)

Offline cooper

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 11:35:52 AM »
HarryO -  that's what I was after!

Thanks very much.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 05:37:40 AM »
to bad you guys were told about the cabintree tester sold on castingstuff.com. I havent had a lee but it looks kind of like a pain to use. Ive had the lbt and the seaco and this cabintree is cheaper then either and much more user friendly.
blue lives matter

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
Lloyd, I value your opinion as a bullet caster. I saw the hardness tester you wrote about. Can you give a short evaluation of the tester and what you like and dislike about it? I am thinking about getting one. thanks  Ron

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:53:28 AM »
its built like a tank. Is easy to calibrate. Easy to read as what your reading is a number on a dial indicator which cross refernces to a chart. Theres also a model that is a slight up grade that allows you to use the frame and dial to check runnout and consentricity of cases and bullets.
blue lives matter

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »
Thanks, I think I am going to get one.  Ron

Offline IronAir

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 02:17:31 AM »
Man, every time I log onto this stupid computer, it cost me more money.  Thanks LLoyd.

Here's the link http://castingstuff.com/cabinetree_loading_products.htm

Pretty neat idea about the vise grip type mould handles on there too.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 12:29:56 PM »
gussys  a heck of a nice guy too. Hes sells something else thats real neet for you lyman and rcbs sizer guys. Hes made a revamped lube screw assembly that keeps pressure on the cylinder actually longer then the setup on star does. I did some testing for him on his prototypes and was sizing up to 50 .512 lfns without touchiing the lube crank. Saves alot of time. I never did use the production version as i switched totaly over to stars about then. i can gurantee you one thing though if you buy something from him it will be top shelf and priced right
blue lives matter

Offline Idaho Ron

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 04:27:34 PM »
His primer tester is WAY cool. Ron

Offline lrrice

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
    • Rice Custom Knives
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:19:03 PM »
Here is a site that tells how to make a tester and also has a spread sheet that automatically converts indention diameter for you.