Author Topic: Do you vary your carry modes based on the situation?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline papajohn428

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Do you vary your carry modes based on the situation?
« on: October 28, 2007, 12:59:36 PM »
After the attempted carjacking situation I found myself in, I've been giving a LOT of thought to the way I carry my CCW gun.  If I hadn't had the gun under my leg when it all went down, I'd have been in deep doo-doo, it was only by the Grace of God it was there, and it had nothing to do with being alert to a potential threat.  If I'd had the pistol where I usually carry it, behind my right hip, I'd have been hard pressed to get my hand on it, under a jacket, with a seat belt on, let alone bring it into play quickly.

Once I upgraded to the Bersa 45, I decided I needed to modify my carry modes, depending on where I was, and what I was doing.  For riding in a car, the only thing that made sense was to carry it crossdraw, on my left side, butt forward.  The seat belt wouldn't interfere with the draw, and I could pull the gun into my lap, or tuck it under my leg, depending on what was going on.  An ankle holster would be a great solution, but I have yet to find one that's comfortable, that fits the guns I carry.  Maybe if I had a Kel-Tec or something small it would work, but I upgraded to the 45 for the additional horsepower, and won't give that up. 

So for now, my plan is to wear the gun behind my hip while on foot, and when I get into the car, switch it to the other side.  I was fortunate to find a belt-slide holster that makes this easier, it's a "JBP" model, with a clip on one side, and belt slots on both.  With the clip it's a great IWB holster, or I can use the clip on my left side to hold the gun in crossdraw mode.   A shoulder holster would also work with a coat on, but I haven't found any I like, that are comfortable and affordable.  For now, I'm happy with what I'm using.  It's not a perfect system, but aside from carrying at least two guns, nothing else will work as well.

So the question remains.....do you move the gun around, depending on the situation and the circumstances?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Papajohn
If you can shoot home invaders, why can't you shoot Homeland Invaders?

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Do you vary your carry modes based on the situation?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 01:25:33 PM »
Papa,

I have an old holster I affixed between the center console and driver's seat.  I place it there when I'm in the vehicle.  Its accessibile, away from the seat belt latch, hidden from the passenger side.  Its easy to return to my carry holster in a fluid motion when I exit the vehicle, and easy to dock when I enter the vehicle.

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
That sound like a great idea, but what do you do in case of getting stopped by the police? Is it concealed? Just curious, because I thought of carrying this way as well, instead of in the console or on my hip as I normally do.

Offline Savage

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 02:08:37 PM »
ncsurveyor has as good a system as it gets. My car carry method is similar. No way I'm moving my holster back and forth from side to side as I get in and out of the car. This is all assuming I'm wearing a holster of course.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ncsurveyor

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 02:28:48 PM »
That sound like a great idea, but what do you do in case of getting stopped by the police? Is it concealed? Just curious, because I thought of carrying this way as well, instead of in the console or on my hip as I normally do.

I got a CCW.  They know I'm armed before they reach the door, if the run my plate first.  Being prior L.E., if a marked unit stops me, I let him know before he gets to the door.  If an unmarked unit, then I snug up to it and keep it concealed till I see some credentials (I have that right).  Don't be afraid of asking for credentials as the officer walks up.  If he wants to know I'm packing, he better honor his part and provide some.

Switching holster placement is not the way to go.  After a week of getting in and out, you'll be looking for other options.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 03:13:11 PM »
Nope, it's too much trouble and isn't practical.  I have been doing what NCSurveyor has done.  I've also considered maintaining a second weapon in my vehicle pretty much all the time.  The possibility of my vehicle being broken into has kept me from doing that.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
My "uniform of the day" usually consist of boots and jeans, I prefer to tuck my shirt in so the normal method of carry is in my right front pocket.  I never though much about putting the pistol someplace else when I entered a vehicle until a situation where I wanted it in my hand came up.  I drive a crew cab F-250 pick-up, and even with all the room it was very difficult to get the pistol out of my pocket, first I had to remove the seat belt, and them roll to my left side to get my hand in the pocket.  Today when I get in the truck the pistol goes in a pocket on the driver's side door, I also keep an extra mag there.

In today's world is smart to have the weapon in a location where you can get your hands on it in a hurry.

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 03:39:56 PM »
I'm another that does similar to what NCsurveyor does.  I keep a holster wedged between the seat and console that will move only under quite a bit of force.  If I choose to hide it I just push down and it disappears below the top of the seat yet I can still get my hand down there to pull it out if I need to.

Offline jhm

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 04:14:58 AM »
About the only thing I do is remove the weapon from the holster and place it inside my waist band in a cross draw set-up, no second holster, no hiding it unless going into the post office,police station,school property,and last but not least a GUNSHOW, and BTW why are there these exceptions??  I thought we were found to be upright honest citizens.   JIM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
I position my pistol on my right side for easy access.  It does not sit over my right hip or right hip pocket but rather 'square' to might right side.  It's not usually holstered, just snug in my belt.   When I'm in the car I make certain it is accessible after I put my seatbelt on and I have practiced getting it to my hand unobstructed.  I have also been known to carry one in my belt and another in my inside coat pocket if I'm wearing a trenchcoat.

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:23:44 AM »
The seat cover on my truck has a pocket just the right size for a handgun in front, it places the gun between your legs so it is accessible with either hand just by dropping your hands into your lap and it sits low enough so it doesn't gouge you in the legs when you are seated.  If I am in our van there is a compartment in the dash between the two seats that also neatly holds a handgun. But I don't switch holsters around, I leave my holstered handgun where it is at normally, for multiple reasons the first is muscle memory, I am used to the gun being there so I don't want to have to hunt for it if I have moved it to somewhere else and the second reason is if I am bumped while in my vehicle I will still have my holstered firearm.  Also I don't have to holster and unholster while getting in and out of my vehicle.  The handgun in my truck is completely concealed from view while the one in the van can be seen if you look, I put it in a lock box mounted under the seat when I get out.  If stopped, in my State it is open carry in a motor vehicle is legal and common so there would be no problems from an officer unless something stupid was done and since I am an officer I obviously know how not to jack the situation up.  In fact if I am not in my home area when they approach the vehicle they will see my hands on the steering wheel holding my open credis and my first statement to them will be I am an officer and I am armed.  I then will do nothing until they tell me what they want me to do.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 12:45:26 AM »
NC
Give more detail on how you did your setup.
I have tried for several years to figger out how to do what you did.
I drive an Expedition now but previously a F-150.
I just went out too the car and checked it out---again--and can't see how you did it.
Please clue me in.  I will try it.
Now I just carry in the console and hope I can get too it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline ncsurveyor

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 01:52:22 AM »
Bill,
first I have seperate seats, instead of a single bench. Ford Bronco II.

2nd, My console sets on the truck floor and rises up about 6 inches higher than the seats.  It has a plastic cover and metal frame.  I think it was standard on the 1990 Ford Bronco II.  There's about 3 inches between the console and seat.

third, and this is where I got lucky, - get a cup of coffee, this is a little long for what its worth. My back seats had long plastic guides on the lap belts.  I wanted to put in a better harness to hold my child seat, so I swapped out the buckle in the back with the one in the front, as the front one had shorter plastic guides and made for better lock up for the child seat.  I put the longer one up front which places the strap farther forward than it used to be.  This allowed me to take an old holster and essentially stuff it between the plastic on the seat belt sheath and the seat.  The plastic extends about another six inches before the belt raps around the driver so it is far enough away from the gun and holster.  A little creative tying with masonry string and the holster is fixed in place where it won't come up with the gun.  It is essentially connected to the seat belt strap base.  It doesn't impede the seat belt, and moves with the seat when I have to slide it forward to buckle in the munchkin.

The gun cannot be grabbed from the back seat, even if she could reach it.

Let me know if you need pictures, but the key here was changing the seat belt buckle [female end].  It may have worked with the old one, but then again, the belt may have got in the way.

Basically, it was a series of fortunate circumstances.

EDIT:

I went out during lunch to look it over. The console is about 3 inches higher than the seat.

I've always looked at it from an unoccupied view, but getting in and buckling everything up, the gun rides higher than I thought.  The gun is slightly visible from the passenger side, if my arm isn't on the console.  Not as "down between the console and seat" as I thought either.

Still functional though.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 06:28:07 AM »
I have always carried IWB, strong side, FBI cant.  I find I can access my handgun fine when seated in my Blazer.  The only exception to this would be in the winter if I were to put the seat belt OVER my coat, trapping my gun under the coat.  I am careful not to do this, keeping my coat open and over the seat belt.  The FBI cant must give the holster just enough forward cant that I can draw while seated.  A straight up and down holster would trap the gun butt against the seat back.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Mannlicher

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »
Simple prudence dictates that you have access to your handgun at all times.  Of course, this means a different carry mode based on a variety of factors.
In the truck, I keep a handgun between my seat and the center console.  This is a separate weapon than my carry gun.
Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Offline BRADFORDcoHUNTER

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 09:32:53 PM »
I tend to carry mine based on situation. In the car and driving through bad areas, I will generally have the gun under my leg, or in a "car jacking rig." Since I drive an old, beat up pick up truck, getting car jacked is not likely...lol. Most of the time I carry my Springfield 40 S&W SC in a strong side hip rig. This is accomplished using either my Milt Sparks belt slide, my Fobus paddle, or an Uncle Mike's IWB holster. I used to carry SOB, but since I tore my strong side rotator cuff, that is no longer an option for me. In general, I believe you have to adapt on an as needed basis for CC. There are many factor's in this, including season/attire, in car or out of car, area you travel through, destination you will wind up at, etc etc.  One thing i NEVER EVER do, is leave a gun in my vehicle!!!!  Sad as it is, that's just a bad situation waiting to happen. It is generally just too easy to have your vehicle breached, and wind up with your gun stolen and in the wrong hands.

Offline gila_dog

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 01:16:46 PM »
I like the idea of keeping a holster jammed between the console and the seat, or in the crack between seats (split bench pickup seat), and putting the gun there when driving. I'm going to start doing that. It's quick to get to and secure. Also legal in NM.

Depending on the state you live in, there are all kinds of wierd laws about vehicle carry. I recommend this book: The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States (Google it). Reading thru that book makes me glad I live in NM. Here it's legal to carry a loaded gun (long or handgun) in your car. It's also legal to carry loaded and unconcealed almost anywhere. It's even legal to carry concealed, but unloaded. It doesn't take long, with some practice, to draw a semi auto with one hand, while pulling a mag out of a pocket with the other, slip it in, rack the slide, and shoot. To carry concealed and loaded requires a CCW permit. To me the main reason to get a CCW permit is to be able to carry concealed in other states that have a reciprocity law where they recognize out-of-state permits.

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »
I have a "car gun" that stays in my vehicle door pocket and is pretty easy for me to get to.  I do tend to varry what I'm carrying and the way I carry firearms....based on weather / season, where I'm going and which "gun mood" I happen to be in  ;D