Author Topic: Barrel stubbing question  (Read 591 times)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Barrel stubbing question
« on: March 08, 2008, 08:57:47 AM »
I'm a machinist and very new to any kind of gunsmithing and would like to ask you guys a question on barrel stubbing on a Handi like some of the projects that I've seen on here. Where do you guys get your barrels? Is there someone who makes rifled blanks and you guys ream the chamber and machine and mount, or do you buy barrels from a manufacturer or do you find them at places like e-bay or gunbroker.com or other?? Thanks a lot.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: Barrel stubbing question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 10:30:44 AM »
The barrel stubbing project I had done was with a 20 ga  NEF shot gun barrel and a SMLE 303Brit barrel from E-Gunparts.com  hth  Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline AKbuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »
JonD,
Sorry, no more barrels on eBay(fleabay) since they thumbed there noses at us sportsman and banned most gun parts and ammo components.

I have not as yet to start my stubbing projects, finishing the shop first.  I did get a few barrels from a local gun show.  I even bought them without any background checks or anything(poke at the anti firearm community).

The barrels I got were takeoffs from various brands for who knows why.  I didn't see any problems down the "tube".

As to how it is done, use the search and read the various posts from Canon6 and others.  Seek the wisdom of Quickdtoo also, he is a straight shooter.

Thanks,
Paul

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 05:33:39 AM »
Thanks a lot guys. I didn't know if there was a barrel blank supplier that I hadn't found yet or not. I like this stubbing idea--make your own change-out barrels ;D

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:01:36 AM »
Here is one source, there are lots of them if you look around. If you can contact some of the large barrel makers such as E.R Shaw that take barrels off to replace with their own; may have some for sale. Not being new, you could get brand new take offs, or one that has been shot out, or pitted, or let your imagination go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/search?search_keywords=barrel+blanks&category_selector=all_products&Click+to+Begin+Search.x=8&Click+to+Begin+Search.y=14&Click+to+Begin+Search=Search_Button
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 06:53:06 AM »
Thanks a lot guys!!! 

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:51 PM »
Re: Gun Parts Corp, I got one of the last of these. Hope they get some more.

Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion