Author Topic: Best Concealment Holster  (Read 1770 times)

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Best Concealment Holster
« on: January 21, 2008, 04:36:50 AM »
What is, in your opinion, the best strong side NOT INSIDE WAISTBAND holster for concealment. I have a 2" J-frame Smith and a Walther PP that I like to carry concealed. I've looked at the Fobus holsters, but I don't know how good a concealment holster they are for these two firearms. I was also thinking of a Bianchi Shadow, but I'd prefer something that has a paddle. I'd also like to keep the price reasonable as well.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Re: Best Concealment Holster
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 05:29:27 AM »
I use IWB holsters so I don't know exactly which model I'd recommend here but check out www.desantisholster.com.  You can search by holster type or by gun model and they will show you all holster models they have available for that particular gun.  I use a Desantis Pro Stealth for my XD and it's been great.  Had it for over a year now and looks brand new...hardly any wear.

Side note:  My 100th Post!! :)
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline S & W 642

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:29:24 AM »
You might look at Galls store and look and some of there holsters these are police concealment holsters.  I don't have any of their holsters but I have seen them and they look nice.
Eph2:8-9

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 11:52:33 AM »
Gunners Alley also carries a pretty good line of holsters.

I guess it depends on how you dress and want to carry.  I don't like IWB holsters either and carry mine outside of the pants.

I usually carry high on the strong side in a leather holster if I have a long over-garment and medium frame handgun.  If wearing a shorter jacket I get by with a shoulder holster.  If wearing loose fitting dress slacks, an ankle holster works well (and is surprisingly comfortable) with a 2" revolver or small automatic.

I've tried a SOB holster, which works OK for the PPK, but the cylinder of a revolver presses against the spine and is uncomfortable.  I have one for each of my guns.  A neat trick is to move the SOB holster to my strong side.  Then the gun rests with the handle upward and prevents the barrel from hanging below a short jacket or vest.  You can still draw easily by rotating your wrist slightly and pulling forward instead of up.

Just some ideas.

Offline wyocarp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:16:33 PM »
I have a J frame Smith and use a Galco.  It works well on a belt.

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »
I bought a Fobus for the J-frame Smith, just to see how it worked. It's not a bad holster, but is a lousy concealment holster. I figured I'd have the same problem with the Walther PP, so I bought a Bianchi 105 Minimalist. Very concealable and fantastic quality. A really nice holster. I guess you get what you pay for. The Fobus cost me $20 and the Bianchi cost me around $40.

Steve

Offline RBishop

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 10:40:33 AM »
I have two Galco IWB holsters. One fits my Colt Agent and the other for my Kimber 9MM semi-auto. Both work great.

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
I've also tried several shoulder holsters, which work OK if you are wearing a short jacket.  I've got both vertical and horizontal (Miami) style holsters, and different web styles.  The Bagmaster, Uncle Mike, and other similar manufacturers use the same 2-clip mechanism to hold the holster, but may have different harness designs.  That allows me to mix and match the holsters and harness configuration to suit my clothing and activities.

Offline WVMikeyC

• Be careful what you wish for you just may get it
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 04:32:33 AM »
What style holster whether IWB or OWB for the summer, example shorts and a tank top? Also if one would be using say an XD 40 4" barrel. Since in the summer one is trying to go for light clothing with light colors, something that would by color alone would give away what you are carrying. Since here when it's summer this is what I wear the most tank top and shorts.

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:13:14 AM »
Good luck concealing that XD40 4" in the summer with shorts and a t-shirt.  I guess it depends on your body build but I have a XD9 3" and I have a hard time concealing it with a t-shirt.  I mostly wear polos though which makes it easier.  If i do wear a t-shirt, I carry a .380.  I'm wanting to buy a small frame revolver soon but haven't done so yet.  If you do find a holster that allows you to easily conceal that gun with a t-shirt, I'd love to know what it is.  I'd much rather carry my XD.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:51 PM »
Good luck concealing that XD40 4" in the summer with shorts and a t-shirt.  I guess it depends on your body build but I have a XD9 3" and I have a hard time concealing it with a t-shirt.  I mostly wear polos though which makes it easier.  If i do wear a t-shirt, I carry a .380.  I'm wanting to buy a small frame revolver soon but haven't done so yet.  If you do find a holster that allows you to easily conceal that gun with a t-shirt, I'd love to know what it is.  I'd much rather carry my XD.
Check-out Simply Rugged. com line of holsters They make some nice stuff. Also Rafter S line of holsters as well
DaveShooter

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2008, 08:27:38 AM »
Don't use a scabbard.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
   I still like the everyday fanny pack. You can access it quick and carry extra ammo. Plus it allows you to carry something larger than a compact or subcompact if you prefer. You can carry even more than one gun if you work it right.

Offline jhm

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 05:10:50 AM »
At almost 62 years old TANK TOPS are out of the question, however I have taken to wearing alot of the brietly  with a pattern colored loose fit nylon or silk shirts that seem to be popular during the summer I wear them with casual slacks, jeans, and even the 6 pocket shorts from Cabelas, I usually carry a sig 239 or smith 6906 but have often carried a colt officers or full size 45, all with the same brand inside the pants holster for the gun, a don huam.   JIM