Author Topic: Interchanging shotgun barrels  (Read 625 times)

Offline kayaker63

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Interchanging shotgun barrels
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:25:13 AM »
I would like some advice on interchanging shotgun barrels. I currently own a H&R Classic Deluxe 12 gauge shotgun. If I were to purchase an additional 12, 20 or 410 barre; say at a gunshow or off the classified site on this website, should I be concerned about the barrel fitting properly vs. buying one from NEF  where you must send them your receiver to have the barrel fitted by the factory.

Thanks,
kayaker63

Offline Brett

Re: Interchanging shotgun barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 09:25:47 AM »
If you purchase a barrel from H&R (ie; send your gun in and have them fit the barrel to your frame) you are assured of a perfect fit and full warranty.

If you purchase a barrel from a private party there is a good chance the barrel may require some fitting to function safely and properly with your frame.  If you are mechanically inclined and have the tools (or are willing to procure them) you can do the job yourself.  The process can be very simple or somewhat complex depending on weather material needs to be removed or added to your barrel lug.  See the FAQ section at the top of the Center-fire forum for detailed information on barrel fitting.   Another option is to have a competent gunsmith fit the barrel for you.   Once in a great while you luck out and find a barrel that is a perfect fit to your frame without the need of any additional fitting.

That said, It's MHO that these guns are affordable enough that I just as soon buy a complete firearm (new or used) in the gauge(es) desired rather than mess with shipping the gun back to N&F or tinkering with fitting then swapping barrels back and forth.  It's a lot easier to reach into the gun locker and pull out the gun I need for the task than it is to swap barrels when I want to go from hunting rabbits to hunting ducks. 
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline kayaker63

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »
Brad,

Thanks for your comments and good advice. I have already read the thread on a novice checking out a retro-fit-barrel. Figured I was not the first to ask this question. One gunsmith told me with lower pressures for shotguns just to hold the gun out a ways and fire off a round. Probably not something NEF would recommend!

Regards,
Charles

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:26:52 AM »
I don't think I'd want that gunsmith working on my guns!! Even shotgun pressures are plenty to cause injury/death if a barrel doesn't fit well.  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 12:23:29 PM »
OUCH!!!....<><.... :o
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 04:36:02 PM »
I have been extremely lucky to have all of the barrels that I have bought be able to be switched around. Brett is right though about these guns being cheap enough to just buy a whole used gun. I'm with Quick about that smith though that is dangerous advice and I don't think I'd seek any more advice from him.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun