Author Topic: I do love the Ruger No. 1 International ...  (Read 3659 times)

Offline MarkH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
I do love the Ruger No. 1 International ...
« on: November 24, 2007, 03:55:01 PM »
I have considered myself a handgun hunter for a while, but wanted to hunt with a rifle this year - if I could find one that I enjoyed carrying around the canyons and brush.  Kind of wanted a single shot because the G-2 Contenders I have are pretty handy and fun, and took something of a leap and ordered the RSI in 30-06.  Took a bull elk at 220 yards with it in October and four or five feral hogs (or really, "Wild Boar" sounds better) since at ranges of 50-200 yards, and hunted whitetail and mulies about fifteen days with it - though I happened to be carrying the Ruger 77 RSI stablemate to this gun the day I shot my whitetail.

Darn but these are slick rifles!  I like it so much I just picked up a 1-A 30-06 and fixing to order a 1-V for the spring hunting.

I reckon it comes as no surprise that reloading speed is really not an issue, given some practice.

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
Re: I do love the Ruger No. 1 International ...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 01:24:35 AM »
  They are indeed nice!  I'm picking up my 4th in a couple weeks.  Will likely add another in the spring as well.   can't see myself buying any rifles now other than the #1's.
"Never Surrender, Just Carry On."  - G.S.

Offline northern hunter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:58:33 PM »
Hey guys I just saw a #1 international  in 7x57 mauser with a vx2 leupold 1x4 on it in excellent condition at Ellwood Epps gun shop. Its in Ontario Canada.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 05:18:29 AM »
If you think those #1's are great, just wait until you get your hands on one in .45-70 ! 

Among all the other #1's I have, I was able to get a 50th Anniversary .45-70 when they were issued in 1999 - and it's like having a custom gun, IMHO ! [Engraving/gold/Circassian wood/etc]
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline One Eye

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »
Very nice.  Are those still in production, or do you have to buy them on the used market?

Dan
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Offline deltecs

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »
I too happen to have a Ruger #1 RSI in 30-06 with a receiver sight on it.  This is a delightful weapon to carry and use in the dense woods in Prince William Sound for deer.  I also have a Ruger 10/22 International and a m77 RSI in .243 Win.  It is a toss up as to which RSI I take deer hunting.  The .22 is a fun rifle for smaller game and is very accurate.  In fact, I'm extremely impressed with the accuracy from all the international series of rifles.  All shoot inside 1" at the range intended for the rounds.  I'd dearly like to have 7 x 57 added to my collection.   Maybe in a couple of years. 
Greg lost his battle with cancer last week on April 2nd 2009. RIP Greg. We miss you.

Greg
deltecs
Detente: An armed citizenry versus a liberal society
Opinion(s) are expressly mine alone and do not necessarily agree with those of GB or GBO mgmt.

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 02:46:41 PM »
[Very nice.  Are those still in production, or do you have to buy them on the used market?]

The RSI's are still catalogued in several calibers, like .243, .30-06, & 7X57, but the .45-70 is only available in a #1-S (Medium Sporter).

The embellished 50th Anniversary .45-70 #1-S was strictly a 1999 issue, so they're where you find them, now - although it's possible that there's one or more F/S somewhere that's still unfired, NIB.

They're pricey, though - there's one on gunsamerica.com for $1600.
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 11:38:03 AM »
  From hints I'm getting, I wouldn't be all too surprised if the RSI #1 is not in the next catalog.  I'm thinking that even if it cataloged again, production will be finished of with current inventory. 

Offline BlkHawk73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 02:47:42 PM »
  Been thinking and I think the 7x57 RSI model could very well be the first gun purchase of '08.  Fitting since a #1 in .405 will be my last of '07.

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:58:27 AM »
I've got a Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57... it's a "sweet" little rifle.  Mine "loves" H4350 rifle powder at just about any load level right up to the maximum load of 50.0 grains.  I haven't chronographed that load yet, but I'd guess it will be about 2775 fps...  maybe up to as much as 2790 fps or 2800 fps, but that may be "wishful thinking" due to the RSI's short, 20-inch barrel.

The most accurate load of H4350 I've found so far is 47.2 grains which yielded a very "tight" 3-shot, "clover-leaf" type group @ 50 yards measuring just .176 inches as measured by my digital calipers and a .179 inch "clover-leaf", 3-shot group, shot the same day (6/5/07) using 47.6 grains of H4350 at 50 yards.

Even the maximum load of 50.0 grains of H4350 yielded a 3-shot group @ 50 yards of just .407 inches.  Recoil is noticably higher as was the sound level of the shot... but still not "objectionable".  However, this heavy load (50.0 grains of H4350) is ONLY for "MODERN ARMS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION" !!!  The load generates 50,000 C.U.P. ... considerably greater than the SAAMI's recommended chamber pressure of 46,000 CUP. 

Obviously, this rifle's "sweet spot" ranges from 47.2 grains to 47.6 grains since the groups "open up" slightly beyond 47.6 grains or less than 47.2 grains of H4350 powder with a 140 grain Sierra ProHunter, flat-based bullet in Remington cases sparked by standard Winchester primers.

However, in order to shoot such small groups, I had to allow the RSI's barrel to "cool down" to "barely warm".  To shoot the RSI when the barrel is hotter than that will probably larger, more scattered groups.

But then... when hunting, it is common to shoot game using a COLD barrel... and I've found my RSI shoots the same using either a cold, cool or slightly warm barrel since the barrel apparently doesn't begin to touch the fore-end wood of the Mannlicher-style stock until the barrel heats up to "warm or very warm".     :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hbfred

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2007, 04:32:29 PM »
Ron T.
I just picked up mine just like yours and was wondering if you had tried Hornady's 139gn interlock?
That's what I just ordered from Midway anyway. I can/t wait to shoot mine as I have heard so much about this caliber.
I am also getting a 4 digit #1 in -06 after the first of the year with beautiful wood. I was a little disappointed with the wood on the new one I just got but then, it will be used and the -o6 looked at!

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »
Hbfred...

No... I haven't tried the 139 grain Hornady bullets because a good many of the different Hornady bullets are made with engraved lines (I believe they are called "cannelures") on the bullet at the point you are expected to seat/crimp the bullet in the mouth of the cartridge case.

Since my RSI's chamber has a very deep throat (as many #1's do), I like to seat the 140 grain bullets I use considerably further out than one would normally seat them. 

Hornady's positioning of those "cannelures" apparently indicates Hornady expects the reloader to seat it with the end of the mouth of the cartridge case "even" with those "cannelure" lines.   

However, for best accuracy, I like seating the bullet out to within 10 thousandths of the barrel's lans & grooves.  Unfortunately, doing so using Hornady bullets would leave those unwanted "cannature" lines well above the mouth of the case.

Why Hornady doesn't make their bullets with smooth sides as do all the other bullet manufactures remains an unanswered question.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 04:46:07 AM »
Hornady makes some bullets both ways and some only one way. But it's not a problem just cuz there is a cannelure doesn't mean you HAVE TO use it to seat your bullets into it. They work just as well seated to some other depth.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 08:48:29 AM »
I believe my next new rifle will be a Ruger #1 International in .270 Win, I just loove the looks of them!! I stupidly sold an Interarms Mark X Mannlicher years ago and I think the Ruger will fit the bill :)

Jack

Offline fatercat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 02:43:56 PM »
just got mine today. 270 and a cool little rifle. a little heaver than i thought, hell i'll lose 5 lbs. carries like the old winchester 30-30 . i use to load the old H3841 at about 60 or 61 gns. 130 nosler partition. does that sound about right?  or just fill the case and give her a try?

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »
Just had my gunsmith install a Kepplinger Single-Set Trigger in my RSI in 7x57 thus eliminating the somewhat creepy 5 to 6 pound factory trigger.

In the non-set position, the trigger pull is a very smooth, crisp 3 pounds.  By pushing the trigger forward, it goes into "set" mode... and in "set" mode, the set trigger is only a few OUNCES... touch it and it's "gone" !!!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new, smoother, much lighter "set-trigger" will effect the groups sizes this little rifle yields.  I expect the size of the groups to be smaller... considerably smaller... but we'll see.    ;)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.