Author Topic: .22 semi auto  (Read 743 times)

Offline slickest

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
.22 semi auto
« on: April 20, 2008, 02:18:44 PM »
looking at buying a .22lr pistol. something semi-auto and i would like the heavy/target barrel on it.
Just wondering what people think if i should go with the open sights or a red dot of some sort also what length of barrel? i was thinking a 6 or 8" barrel but im not sure since i dont own any pistols.

any help appreciated

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
Re: .22 semi auto
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »
I would go with the Ruger MK111, you can get them with a variety of barrel of lenghts.I have used red dot sights and they are effective,you can easily spend as much for the sight, as for the pistol.hth   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline Ken ONeill

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 12:24:58 AM »
I prefer the Ruger Mk. II if you can find one. A Mk. III will also do, as suggested. Various barrel lengths are available, from 4 to 10". Every Ruger semi -auto .22 I've owned in the last 35 years has been very satisfactory. My own preference for hunting was always the 6 7/8" tapered model, but that's a matter of personal preference. Whether one wants to scope, red-dot, or remain with iron sights depends upon the intended use, and the owner's preference. I've used all 3 options, and still do.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »
I would go with Ken's recommendation.  I have read about the MkIIIs and there is something there that doesn't quite sit right.  The MkIIs are my preference.

I have a MkII Government Model with the 6 &7/8s bull barrel - I ahve owned it since they first came out - prior to that I owned a MkI T512 (5" bull barrel target) and the MkII was the natural upgrade. 

I used mine for lots of target work but also lots of field work.  It is the most accurate and reliable 22 lr semi auto I have ever owned.  Yesterday, my buddy and I were out with our 22s kicking cans around with a mixed bag of 'left-overs' (left over 22s from this box or that one).  we easily went through about 3 boxes each and were kicking cans around at better than 40 yds.  We had a ball with those Rugers. 

I would agree with Ken - the MkII is the best choice.  Mikey.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 04:31:27 AM »
Somewhat expensive, but the ultimate in a .22 auto is the Smith and Wesson Model 41.  My second choice would be the Hi-Standard Military Model.  You should be able to find a Hi- Standard in the 250-300 price range, the sky is the limit for a Model 41.

Offline kebs

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 05:32:04 AM »
I shoot a 22/45 mark 2.  It shoots well and I am thinking about a red dot for it this summer.  The only drawback is that it is a pain  to put together after cleaning it.  My father has a neos that he loves.  He shoots it well.  If I were looking for another I might go with a neos. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »
I have never understood how Rugers keep getting berated for being difficult to assemble.  In the owner's manual there are very concise instructions, pictures even, for step by step dis-assembly/assembly. After doing it a few times it becomes automatic. Much simpler than setting my watch!!!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »
Savage:  you can set your own watch?????  I have to get one of the kids to adjust the ring tone on my cell phone.  No wonder I can't get those darn Rugers apart.............. Mikey.........

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
For me the decesion is between the Browning Buckmark and the Ruger.
The Browning wins if you want to shoot a stock gun.
The Ruger wins if you like to dress it up with aftermarket parts.

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 09:17:19 AM »
Ok Mikey, I can buy your story on the ring tones, but bet you have nooooooo problem with the Rugers!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline slickest

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:32:06 PM »
thanks guys. Looks like it will be a ruger

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 01:10:17 AM »
Savage:  Dang!  Busted again!  You're right, I do not really have a problem with the Ruger disassembly and reassembly.  I just make certain I have lubricated that locking arm well enough so it swings free and the pistol goes back together without a hitch. 

I thought I had been having a problem with it lately due to fouling from dirty ammo.  I was using one factory mag and 4 aftermarket mags of higher capacity.  I had purchased those mags years ago when  I owned my first Ruger MkI T512 but after a whole bunch of years, the mags got dirty and some of the plastic got chipped away and those mags were causing the pistol to jam. 

So here I am disassembling the pistol on the back of a pickup truck, expecting a major headache, a trip to the gunsmith or at least an on-line trip to Brownells for parts, but 'no', she comes apart, gets cleaned and goes back together the way she should - quickly and easily. 

The mags however required some action - I found that if I loaded only 10 rnds per (aftermarket)mag that they would work as well as the factory mags.  So, after learning that lesson (and purchasing four new factory MkII mags on line that I haven't used yet) I shot the pistol through about 300 rnds of mixed ammo without a hi-cup.  Soada cans to beyond 50 yds twembled at the sound of my name............... Mikey.