Author Topic: Best Spotting Scope  (Read 440 times)

Offline Old Moss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Best Spotting Scope
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
 :) After noon all,

Simple question who makes the best spotting scope for looking at targets (shooting off a bench) out to 600yds, clarity is important and cost prefer under $200.00

12-45, 20-60, 15-45 power   ;D  Thanks Old Moss  ???
Best regards, be safe, and keep your powder dry!
Thanks Old Moss

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Best Spotting Scope
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:59:39 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you but there are no under $200 scopes that will do what you ask of them.

I've owned three and looked thru dozens of spotting scopes on various ranges over the years. The one universal truth I've seen is that cheap ones are not worth the money. I can actually see better thru most decent rifle scopes than I can thru cheap spotting scopes.

While I know there are more that will get the job done the only two I personally can recommend based on actual experience are the Bushnell Elite and the Leupold 12-40x. Both are crystal clear and do a great job of resolving the image. My Elite is the 20-60x80mm version and it is without question the brightest and clearest spotting scope I've ever looked thru. The thing is HUGE and definitely not a hunting scope but for range work I've yet to see it's equal.

The Leupold is a more compact scope and actually could be used for hunting quite well but it is still beautifully clear and bright and excellent for range work as well.

Neither is cheap and I don't think you can touch either for under $500 but if you can't see the bullet holes with what you buy then of what use is it to you?

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 04:28:25 AM »
In your price range a fixed magnification spotting scope will be better.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Old Moss

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:24:12 AM »
Graybeard, Thanks I was pretty sure that was the answer.   ;)

It never fails you do get what you pay for.  Thanks again I will look into your recommendations.  Your site has been a great help and a great place to exchange knowledge and fun.  Kudos to you and all the moderators.  Old Moss   ;D 
Best regards, be safe, and keep your powder dry!
Thanks Old Moss

Offline Catfish

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:05:24 AM »
If your talking about 100 yrds. from the bench and 600 yrds. in the field I would recommend you look at the 15 x 30 Leupold. It is a little higher than the $ 200, your wanting to spend, but it is small and has the largest field of view of any scope I have ever seen in it`s power range. I have one in my pick-up on a window mount at all times. It is 1 fantastic hunting scope that can be used as a bench scope. I have a higher powered Leupold scope that is far better from the bench, but it cost a bunch more and it`s now near as nice in the field.