Author Topic: Gotta 12ga single this weekend  (Read 592 times)

Offline burch

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Gotta 12ga single this weekend
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:03:29 AM »
I found a single shot 12ga for $100.00 this weekend. It has a nice Patina color to it and bore is in excellent conditon. It`s a Bay State 30" bbl  and the barrel is marked MADE IN USA 12GA CHOKE  I`m not sure if it`s full, mod, IC or what.  I`m going to use it for hog hunting on my ATV and was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a good slug for it. If anyone knows what choke it is i`d be greatful for that as well.  Can`t wait to shoot it this weekend.

Burch   8)
God bless the fine men and women of our military

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Gotta 12ga single this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »
I 'm pretty sure your gun will be a full choke. A very un-scientific test is to drop a dime thru the barrel from the breech end. If it stops at the bore it's a full choke . Try Remington sluggers, they are a Foster type slug, inexpensive, and shoot well thru most any choke.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 10:42:17 AM »
Howdy Burch!  Your name is mighty familiar.  Got any kin in the Hartsville, SC area?  Or anywhere in the South, for that matter . . .

I'm way up north now, but I hail from Texas, and the family has deep roots in Dixie. 

I've fired a few Remington Sluggers in my NEF single, and they do quite well, as FLNT 4EVR has noted.  Rifle sights would help, but set the bead at the top of the frame and start close 'til you know where they're landing. 

Best wishes from the just-startin'-to-thaw west of Wisconsin!

db22
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline burch

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:23:38 AM »
My kin are from Ohio to Florida and some in Calf. also.  My buddy gave me a Box of Win. rifled slugs just to have a little fun with. Ya never know it might just like `em.  I was wondering about the sabot slugs - will they work in a smooth bore ?

Burch
God bless the fine men and women of our military

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:08:58 PM »
They will go bang and come of the end of the barrel, but it will be more expensive, and usually not as accurate as a foster style slug out of a smoothbore. Also I agree with Flnt4EVR, on an older gun, "choke" usually indicated a full choke. But I do suggest you shoot it on paper to be sure....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:59:01 PM »
Congrats on the find burch. If you have a set of calipers, measure it and then you will know what your choke is. The dime will work to tell you if it is a full, like flint4ever said.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member