Author Topic: Rings for USHD  (Read 454 times)

Offline Ken K

• Trade Count: (0)
Rings for USHD
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:13:37 AM »
I will be putting either Warne Maxima or Burris Signature Zee rings on my USHD 20.   Any opinions on these two brands?   Looking for input.   Also, I have a Tracker II I'm looking to have drilled an tapped.   A local smith said it would take two to three hours at 45$ per hour.   I paid 125 for the gun!   Is it me or is this a bit crazy?   Thanks, Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Rings for USHD
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 07:49:05 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 10:10:43 AM »
It is not you buddy, that is crazy!!! As Quick said get another gunsmith, and quick!!! I brought a barrel in to my gunsmith (admittedly a very nice guy) and I stayed and watched and we talked while he drilled and tapped it for a scope rail. IIRC it took about 15-20 minutes and I don't think he even charged me for that barrel. It should not be much more than about $10 to a max of $15 per hole depending on how many holes he does, the more he does the cheaper they could be each....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ken K

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 01:15:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.   I thought it was steep; not just that, he pretty much tried to tell me for the first 5 minutes that it couldn't be done.   I explained that I had it on good info that it could, and is, very often.   Then he started in with the 45$ per hour, and how it would take two hours to set up, etc.   Pal, if you don't want the business, no problem!   I have a lead on a retired smith in the area, a friend is going to get me his number.    Thanks again for the help.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
Ken, I see you are not drilling the tapping the USH but a Tracker II. What gauge is it? Most gunsmiths will not drill and tap a 12 gauge barrel at all. Although all I have heard of will do a 20 gauge....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Ken K

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 10:28:17 AM »
MSP,
  It is a 20ga., and from replies I received from others on this site, It can and has been done often.   Thanks, Ken

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:20:21 AM »
That's why I posted the previous thread link for ya.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »
just checking Ken K, 20 gauge Trackers are easy, 12's are much harder to do....<><....:)