Author Topic: rifled or foster slugs  (Read 1611 times)

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
rifled or foster slugs
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »
out of a smooth bore barrel what choke should you use for the foster or rifled slugs?  (Not the sabot style)

Right now I have a modified choke and a turkey choke. I am sure the turkey choke will be out due to the constriction.

what group size should I expect from them? the barrel has rifle style sights and not a vent rib barrel.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: rifled or foster slugs
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »
Perhaps I don't understand your question, Foster and rifled slugs are the same thing.  The "rifling" on the rifled slug does not induce spin, the slugs are stabilized by their "weight forward" construction, as are badminton Birdies.

You are right about the modified choke.  That will work about as well as any, and the turkey choke is too tight.  As far as grouping,  In my experience, you will have to try at least the Remington, Federal and Winchester offerings.  You should be able to get 4" groups at 100 yd. with the right slug for your gun.  My 12 Ga. 870 shoots Winchesters best.  I have tried the "rifled choke" and the improved cylinder tubes and cannot see any difference.  Try this site for mnore information:  http://www.nrapublications.org/tah/Slugs.asp

Good luck!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 03:14:11 PM »
woodchukhntr is correct, I also suggest the modified choke tube as a good choice. I suggest you try some 2 3/4" Brennkes as well, they shoot the best for me and many others. Some like Remington Buckhammers but they are almost as expensive as Sabots and are not worth the price, unless they are the only thing that will shoot out of your gun. A smoothbore with slugs should be more than adequate for deer out to about 75-80 yards and with a slug that a particular gun likes groups of 4-5" at 100 yards are very possible, and they could even be smaller, especially if the shooter and sights are up to it. I suggest you stay away from the most powerful magnum loadings, that does not equate to accuracy and usually detracts from it...Best of luck and keep us posted. What gun, gauge and barrel length do you have?....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline rickyp

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
I am aware that thay are the same but diffrent people may call them one or the other.

I am using a Encore 12 ga turkey barrel with rifle sights. like I said I have a mod. and turkey choke. I will be buying a  Full  Improved Cylinder  soon

Will the I.C. be better then the MOD?

Offline rickyp

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »
My main gun is a Encore 20 ga fully rifled barrel with Remington  copper solids and  a 3-9 X40 scope.
So  this is going to be my back up barrel for the encore.  I am thinking about trying the 12 ga 2 3/4" just to see

Offline wink_man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »
I am aware that thay are the same but diffrent people may call them one or the other.

I am using a Encore 12 ga turkey barrel with rifle sights. like I said I have a mod. and turkey choke. I will be buying a  Full  Improved Cylinder  soon

You can use the modified choke but as a general rule, the more open the choke the better results with foster slugs, Like I said, it's a 'general' rule, there can be exceptions. But more than likely, you'll get better results with the improved cylinder choke.

Remington's smoothbore slug barrels are choked improved cylinder, and Winchester chokes theirs cylinder.   
Garry
'Life is to short to hang with an ugly woman, or hunt with an ugly gun' - Garry
'It's not that our liberal friends are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't' Ronald Reagan
Just ask an American Indian what happens when you let immigration get out of hand.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 03:11:11 AM »

Without actually trying one there is no way to know.  It depends on the whether - whether it will or won't.  Go for it and get all of the chokes anyway,  they aren't all that expensive and it makes the gun more versatile.  As long as you stick with Foster slugs, you will actually be able to afford to try different combinations.

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 09:30:07 AM »
I have an old shooters bible, which was printed long before they came out with rifled barrels and sabot slugs. All of the "deer guns" were made to shoot foster type rifled slugs, and all of the barrels were cylinder bore. I tried shooting foster slugs from my full choke 410 the shots were everywhere but in the target. Took that same 410 had it made into a cylinder bore scope sighted gun. You would'nt  know its the same gun. Excellent accuracy! Good Luck with your project. scout4<><

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 04:09:25 AM »
Oopps!! Made a slight error. Rechecked that old book, its a 1984 edition, anyway, there are a couple of the guns with improved cylinder bore. The H&R slug guns were cylinder bore. And all had rifle sights. Just wanted to correct that about all haveing cylinder bore. They were all very cool old guns. Sure wish H&R still made some of them with color case hardened receivers, and just plain smooth cylinder bore barrels. Anyways, hope you found the info you're lookin for! Have a good one! scout4<>< of the old Owego pike Cherry Ridge Pennsylvania.

Offline Big

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:57:12 PM »
Slugs should not be shot through anything tighter than Improved Cylinder.  I know that this is Remington's and Benelli's recommendation.  Modified is not a "good choice."

My 12 gauge 870 smoothbore shoots Remington Sluggers very well, and has killed many deer out to 50-70 yards.
"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
"Slugs should not be shot through anything tighter than Improved Cylinder."

and...

"Modified is not a "good choice."

and...the reasoning is what and why?

....<><.... ???
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline lil_hunter12

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 05:01:02 PM »
i shoot slugs in my maverick through a full choke and get 3 shot 60 yard group of about 2 inches. can punch a hole dead center of a pepsi can everytime.

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 02:04:24 PM »
Hey rick I have a new mossberg 535. What I have is a improved cylinder choke, I use Remington slugs, which will give 2-3 inch patterins at 50 yards. But at 100 yards I get 6-8 inch patterns or so. I don't think you can get 4-5 inch patterns at 100 yards, unless you are lucky. The really way to get true accuracy at 100 yards, 150, and 200 yards, is to buy a H&R ultra slugger. At 100 yards can get 1 inch patterns, at 150 yards you can get 4 inch patterns, and at 200 yards you can get 6 inch patterns.  That is what I am buying this summer for about 400.00 dollars or so. That is what I would do if you have the money. if you have more questions about H&R's go to the H&R forum.

Hope I helped

Buckshooter
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline rickyp

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 02:09:16 PM »
I have a very nice 20 ga rifled slug barrel for the encore as well as a Mossberg 835 fully rifled barrel both with scopes. the 12 ga will be used as a back up or if the price of slugs got to the point I can't afford them.

Offline Shooter.250

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 03:28:39 PM »
I had an older Winchester 1200 (cylinder bore with riffled sights) it shot the BRI sabot-ed slugs great. you could tear a six inch paper plate to shreds out to about a 125 yards with iron sights. Then I thought I needed a new shotgun and traded for a new 870 rem shortly after they came out and have cried the blues ever sense. the 870 the best I could do with a smooth bore or rifled barrel was about a 4 inch group at a 100 yards and I tried quite a few different brands.

Although the best advice out there is, keep trying different brands until you get 4 inches or better at a 100 yards or keep your shots to that range, 4 inches or better.

I do have a Bennelli M2 now that I think is the cat meow.
I'm also thinking of going back to using Foster style slugs as the sabots are just to damn expensive.

Offline rickyp

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
I went out and bought a box of slugs to try. I have a I.C. and mod. chokes.