Author Topic: Peep sights  (Read 385 times)

Offline Uncle Alvah

• Trade Count: (0)
Peep sights
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:20 AM »
I'm considering buying a NEF in .243 for deer hunting.
I'm hoping someone can give me the low-down on what my options might be for mounting a peep or ghost ring type sight on this rifle, specifically, what makes and styles might be readily available and easy to mount.
Thanks!

Offline DeepSouth

Re: Peep sights
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
My sons youth model has no place to mount a front sight on it .The gun is pretty much set up for a scope,that's not to say a gunsmith wouldn't be able to drill and tap the barrel for a front sight.Then you could set it up however.I'm much impressed with this little gun,it's a bit to heavy for my son but it is unreal accurate.This is the youth model with the wood stocks.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:55:38 AM »
Some models have  the open sights already mounted, but are limited to 20".  I would have to double check.  Williams makes the rear peep which installs easily in the first two holes drilled for the scope base.  Check out the FAQ's section of this forum for more info on the peeps.

Good Luck,

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:48:10 AM »
The 243 Superlight Compact model comes with sights, but not the standard barrel.

If you order an accessory barrel, you can have sights added for an additional fee, used to be $47, but I dunno if it's still that, I'm sure they might also just add the front sight to be used with the Williams WGRS as was mentioned, they sell it for $18, it can be used without the insert as a Ghost ring, or you can order a Ghost ring aperture for the WGRS. Unfortunately the Superlight 243 barrel has been discontinued, but they may still have some in stock.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=496762

Peep and Firesights
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 351 power

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 12:26:48 PM »
i had my ultra drilled for front sight. mounted the williams rear peep sight [easy] in scope mount holes. these rifles are handi-er vwith peep sight.
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are