Author Topic: .243 youth range report  (Read 358 times)

Offline JonnyC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
.243 youth range report
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »
Well , I just returned from the range after trying out my grandsons 243 youth superlite. I had heard some bad things about this barrel so I was curious as to what it would do. I shot 6 rounds getting it sighted in properly.Waiting 3-5 minuets between shots. After that I shot a steady 1.5 group at 100 yds. I followed the advice on how to shoot this finicky barrel and it worked. One thing for sure is it's not a rapid fire weapon, but for deer it's perfect. This site has now helped me keep my sanity[ wife would disagree ] shooting both the 243 and the 38/55.  ;D
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline DeepSouth

Re: .243 youth range report
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »
I got my 8yr old son one right after Christmas for hunting deer.Sighted in with 95gr Fusions once everything was right shot a 3 round group you could cover with a quarter.The little gun is absolutely amazing!It will easily out shoot my bolt action243 788 Rem he is going to make look bad when he gets older and has more practice.This was all at 100yards.

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »
Thanks- I'll have to try the Fusions next.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
JonnyC,

Glad to hear.  I'm used to hearing the other story.  I bought one for my youngest, (3barrel combo) but have yet to put a round through it.  I still have some time before he'll be shooting, but I had hoped to work up something in the meantime.  What were you shooting out of the 243?  And do ya plan on handloading?

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline JonnyC

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:43:18 AM »
JerryK- I was shooting the Remington 100gr.  I'm going to try the Fusion next. I do reload but don't know if I'll reload for the 243. With waiting 3 minuets between shots, I don't think we will be putting alot of rounds downrange. It will mostly be used for deer. I have a 223 bull to use for varmints.