Author Topic: Gunsmiths for rebores  (Read 568 times)

Offline BAGTIC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Gunsmiths for rebores
« on: March 29, 2008, 08:23:13 AM »
How many here have had a Handi Rifle rebored?

Years ago before Richard Nickel passed on he did several for me, all very successful. Nickel said the H&R barrel steel was easy smooth machining. I want to try another wildcat now but I don't know where to start.

I want to recreate the ballistics of black powder round ball guns without the hassle and expense of black powder.

I want a barrel optimized for round ball, high narrow lands and wide grooves with a slow twist. The plan is to open up a 56-50 Spencer (Taylor's.) case. Manson says the maximum practical ball diameter would be .525-.527.

I want to keep the price as reasonable as possible. I don't need a match quality barrel. I just need a good over the counter grade plinking gun. I will be using iron sights at close range.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Gunsmiths for rebores
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:30:24 AM »
I've had a couple rebores done by Wayne York of Oregunsmithing, a 38-55 Target to 405 Win and a 25-06 to 338-06 A-Square, dunno if he can help you, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him, he's done a lot of rebores/rechambers for many members here. Current production H&R centerfire rifle barrels are 4140, rimfires are 1137.

Tim

http://home.earthlink.net/~oregunsmithing/index.html

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain