Author Topic: 45 colt hunting load  (Read 1625 times)

Offline Gene R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45 colt hunting load
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:57:34 PM »
I need advise on a load for the 45 lc. for the Ruger BH 5.5" and a Win 94
I am just starting to reload, I do not want super max loads nor do I want cowboy loads

I have some Laser Cast 250 gr. rnfp
can I use a load for hornady 250 gr. xtp?
20 gr. of H4227 @ approx 1150 fps?

And if so will barrel leading be an issue since they do not have a GC?

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 45 colt hunting load
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
I have put those same .45 bullets out of my .454 at over 1700fps without my leading problems.   I was wondering the same thing the other day for some 458 loads, so I called laser cast.  They told me their bullets are all hardend to 24 brinell, which is good and hard enough for barrels to like.  If you try and smoke them down the barrel like I was.. leading could become a problem, but not with a decent hunting load.

I also asked them about gas checks... and their gas checked bullets cost a little more than cast performance sells them for... and I prefer the cast performance.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline Castaway

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 11:58:15 PM »
Generally speaking a lead bullet offers less friction going a barrel than does a jacketed bullet of the same mass.  There are exceptions, but in this case, you're on solid ground to use the XTP data.  In fact, you're on the low end of a charge.  As far a  leading, each shooter is different.  I push a 255 grain over 1500 f/s in my Trapper and don't get a trace of lead.

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:06:27 AM »
Guys, I really appreciate the input, I am new to this and really have no idea as to what I'm doing yet. I Do not want 1500+ fps. I think that 1000 - 1200 will do every thing I need here in SC, from deer to big hogs at under 50 yards for the Ruger BH, and under 100 yards in the Win 94.

Any suggestions as to the best reloading manual for a beginner in handgun loading?
All I have so far is
Lyman 3rd addition
And those 6 dollar books (One book one caliber) for the 45LC, 44mag, & 357mag.

I will start on my rifle calibers once I have  better idea of what I'm doing.

I'm sure to have many more questions.

Offline Castaway

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 05:37:48 AM »
Manuals are a good thing.  Your off to a good start with your Lyman manual.  I personally like the one caliber book series.  You get information from various bullet and powder manufactures and allows you to easily do comparisons between them.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:23:15 AM »
My recommendation to all reloaders is to start with the most current Lyman manual and then add to that the current manuals from all bullet makers whose products you will be using and the manuals from all powder makers whose products you will be using. Do that and you are on really solid ground with your load data. Lyman has more cast bullet data than all the other sources combined and the best (in my opinion) information section up front of all the different loading manuals.

Leading of barrels is caused by a number of things and really a bullet can be too hard and lead just as much as it can be too soft and lead. There are a lot of variables that goes into why a barrel leads when using cast or swaged bullets.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 06:58:41 AM »
bill gave good advice. that  4227 load is one of my favorites but ive never shot that particular bullet.
blue lives matter

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »
I have found that a 250 grain bullet and the 45 colt seem to be made for each other.  I've killed deer with both the lead LFN, and the XTP.  My 45's really like Unique and Herco powder.  I usually use unique for hunting and load the XTP bullet to 1100 fps, it just knocks a big whitetail right off his feet.  The lead FNL 250 cast will pass right thru a deer putting them down within 30 yards or less.  I've been able to get good accuracy with other powder and bullet combinations, but it has taken more experimentation the those listed above.  I've also tried the higher velocity approach, just ruins mor meat and is overkill for deer here in OH.  Just my opinion!  I have been hunting with the .454 Casull for the past 2 years but have been loading a 250 XTP at 1100 fps, just because I think that the 454 is more accurate, or at least I can shoot it better.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 04:17:24 AM »
Your 20 gr of 4227 with a cast SWC bullet is my favorite hunting load in .45 colt.  That and Unique are about the only powders you need for this caliber unless you want to get into the really hot Ruger and TC loads.  You will find the 45 colt does not need excessive velocity to kill game and this load does everything I care to do with it.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Ole Man Dan

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:57 AM »
Gene:

I've killed Deer with the XTP, and Cast Performance bullets this year.  I loaded mine with unique, in a 7.5" SBH.
I have to admit that I favor the Hard Cast bullets over the XTP.   The WFN bullets knocked a big hole thru both sides...
The 265gr. WFN is my favorite for .45.  I like the 255 WFN in .44.

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 10:50:26 AM »
The best load I have found to shoot out of my winchester 94 is a 300 grain soft point over 18-21 grains of 2400. The velocity doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of this load out of my rifle so it is just a matter of preference. I usually just load 19 grains and I get approx. 1200 fps so if you used a grain or two less you should be in the neighborhood you are looking for.

Navylawdog

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 03:49:52 AM »
You also might want to look at a Thompson loading manual; it has various powders and bullet types for the contender and Ruger with a range of loads and speeds.  The powder brand manual that is free, is also a good starting point with the particular powder that you are using.  You will have to experiment some though, as what is perfect in my gun may only shoot fair in your gun; they may be mass produced, but most shoot as individuals with their own load preference,

Offline win88

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »
take a look at Elmer Keith load's that man did a lot of stuff.
http://www.sixguns.com/range/elmersloads.htm