Author Topic: Ok guys last chance to talk me out of a Super Sniper scope!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 845 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Ok guys this is the last chance to talk me out of a 16x42 fixed power Super Sniper scope. If you read the reviews you will not find a bad one. I will be using it for Groundhogs out to 600 yards. Here is the scope I plan on buying. http://www.swfa.com/pc-4306-231-super-sniper-16x42-30mm-rifle-scope.aspx I am about to pull the trigger on this in the next 10 days or so. Here is a link with some better pictures.http://cgi.ebay.com/SWFA-20x42-Super-Sniper-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-SS20x42_W0QQitemZ140197585717QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31714QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem If you can find me a better scope for $299.95 let me know. Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Ok guys last chance to talk me out of a Super Sniper scope!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »
nikko sterling nighteater 6X24 or 8X32 with sidefocus same price range great scope.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:55:13 AM »
I've decided not to buy anything new until the governments economic stimulus payment arrives.

Trying to remain fiscally responsible in troubling economic times, so I've been concentrating less on luxuries and more on necessities and security.

If you have a working scope, I'd keep using it.

Never heard a bad word about the SS, but since you requested the effort..................

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:53:30 AM »

I don't think he does. Not the type of scope this rifle deserves anyway.

Dale I would stick with the 10x myself. It's pretty hard to shoot off hand at 16x.
My brother just got a Falcon 10x42. It looks very good. He doesn't have the rifle in yet so we haven't tried it.
http://www.snipercentral.com/menace.htm

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:24:36 AM »
Ok Dale, here's how I see it. I'm a Leupold kind of scope guy. Yeah, I know, when I post that statement I get pounded, flamed and what-not...but that's OK. I can take it. I do own a Nikon Buckmaster that is a nice scope, and I will admit that of the 2 EER handgun scopes that I have, a Leupold 2.5-8x and a Simmons 2-6x, the Simmons is clearer and it cost $100 as opposed to the Leupold $350. The Simmons EER has been on my Smith 44 mag for 3 years, I shoot nuthin but full boat 44 mag loads, and it has NEVER moved from zero. That says something.

So, just the other day my buddy was looking at a rifle to buy. We were at the range shooting this Savage, pre-accutrigger Model 112 benchrest rifle in 25-06 caliber. Now, it had a http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=168462 Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20 50mm on it. Well, I shot this rifle and at 200 yards, I put 3 shots in a cloverleaf!!! Of course, the rifle was dead-nutz accurate, floating barrel, 3lb trigger 'n stuff....but my point is that scope was crystal clear. That 25-06 was not a featherweight in the recoil department and the scope had been on that gun for 5 years (according to the seller).

So....were it me looking for a "higher power" scope to mount to a given rifle, I would buy this Simmons. It has a lifetime warranty to the original buyer, plus if 20X is too high for a given situation, just crank it down! Again, I'm a Leupold guy.....but I have this very scope on my Midway wishlist for the $130 price tag.

Dave

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:09:27 AM »

I don't think he does. Not the type of scope this rifle deserves anyway.

Dale I would stick with the 10x myself. It's pretty hard to shoot off hand at 16x.
My brother just got a Falcon 10x42. It looks very good. He doesn't have the rifle in yet so we haven't tried it.
http://www.snipercentral.com/menace.htm
Partsman that is a nice scope. I just don't want to make a mistake. This scope is going to cost a lot of money. At least to me $300.00 is a lot. Yes this rifle deserves good glass because of how well it shoots. I am set on 16 power because many of my shots are way out there and I have always prefered higher power scope anyways. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 05:37:45 AM »
Yea, he did have some reservations about buying a $300 scope he had never seen.
He has a sps varmint 308 ordered for it. Should be fun.

He also doesn't have the bills and family we deal with.;)

You do shoot more targets and chucks than deer so 16x will be fine.
I really like my fixed power scopes.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 05:55:56 AM »
I hope to be able to buy a 308 VTR or SPS Varmint this summer. If I can't I have kicked the idea around of buying two sets of quick release rings and a Burris 3x9 scope. This way I could just swap scopes for deer season. Dale

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:40:50 AM »
You could just use a weaver type base.
No need for fancy quick detach if you have a screwdriver
and time to double check at the range.
Deer season isn't that long anyway.

I have taken scopes of and put them back on and been within a couple inches.

Offline KRP

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:59:27 PM »
You should look at the Bushnell 3200 5-15 Tactical, it can be had for $300.  The Bushnell Elites are hard to beat for the money and no need to swap scopes for deer season either.