Author Topic: THE#1hunter, i have a Question for you  (Read 951 times)

Offline 01magnatec

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
THE#1hunter, i have a Question for you
« on: July 17, 2003, 04:00:36 AM »
In a post you said that you used a 20 guage for your first year small game hunting.  Why didn't you use that for deer?  A 20 or 12 guage with slugs is a faster killer than a .222.
I know a couple people that have killed deer with shotgun.  As a matter of fact, i used one last year. I killed a doe with it.  She died almost instantly.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2003, 07:08:21 AM »
its sort of an collectors model, and slugs sometimes will ruin the barrel
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 02:17:11 PM »
Slugs won't "ruin the barrel," and a 20-ga with a good modern slug load in it is potent medicine on deer out to about 50 yards.  I know, because I live in a slug-hunting only state and I use my 20-ga to shoot deer all the time.  I have a screw-in rifled choke tube. Friends of mine have fully-rifled slug barrels that shoot sabots and they swear by 'em. Of course, you have to wait for a decent shot, not just pop away at anything that moves or shoot at running deer.  That means learning to hunt as opposed to learning to shoot.  You want to see anti-hunters getting their way? Wound alot of deer and have them end up on the six 'oclock news being treated by the local fish and wildlife vets and biologists for gunshot wounds inflicted by people who know so little about guns and hunting that they think "slugs will run the barrel."  It's not enough just to want to hunt.  You have to learn how to do it, and that means paying your dues and listening to the men in your life who know what they are talking about. I've had the same Winchester Model 12 20 ga for forty years; I use it on ducks, pheasants, deer, turkeys, bunnies, and squirrels.  I've shot literally hundres of slugs through it.  The bores are shiny and bright as new, it still throws a great pattern, and I'm as good as ever at missing clay pigeons with it!  Live and learn, bro, live and learn.

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
20 gauge
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 02:49:23 AM »
:D
IN 1952 WHEN I WAS A YOUNG LAD I SHOT MY FIRST "BUCK". WITH A MOSSBERG MODEL 185K 20 GAUGE SHOTGUN USING SLUGS.STILL GOT THE GUN AND THE HORNS. SLUGS HAVE ACCOUNTED FOR A LOT OF WHITETAILS
OVER THE YEARS.
                                        GRIZZY

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2003, 04:57:17 AM »
Brushhunter,

He said "its sort of an collectors model, and slugs sometimes will ruin the barrel" He never said slugs are not good for killing deer.

Whats wrong with not wanting to shoot slugs thru a "sorta collectors model" Maybe not an answer everyone would give but ANY over the internet go or no-go response to what he said is subjective. I don't know the condition of this sorta collectors gun, so I would not tell the guy he can shoot anything thru it he does not feel comfortable doing so. If he said I have late model modern shot gun, I think then telling him what you did would be ok.

How does a young guy learn if he can't ask questions, tell what he did or give his opinions and get resonable responses from those who know ? Maybe next time he just won't ask for the fear of being embarrased here.

#1Hunter, if you have any dout about the ability of your shotgun or any gun, take it to a reputable gunsmith for a pro opinion first. I just recently took an older center fire rifle to a smith for the same reason, to see if its safe to shoot certain loads thru it.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2003, 05:37:51 AM »
You know what Cabin, you're right! And when you're right, you're right.  I apologized to #1 elsewhere, but I slammed him in a couple of posts, so I'll apologize here, too.  I tend to see red when I think animals or firearms are being abused, but that doesn't justify going off at some kid who doesn't know any better and who apparently doesn't have anyone teaching him the stuff we all learned over the years.  So:  my apologies to you, #1 hunter, and to everyone else in this forum for my ill-tempered and sarcastic remarks.  As Will Rogers once said, "Never miss a good opportunity to shut up."  So I'm going to do just that :wink:

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 07:03:15 AM »
HOLD ON........I didn't know that #1Hunter was a kid!?!?!
How old are you?  I remember you saying you have been hunting a couple of years!?!?!  I fugured you were in your twenties!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 07:08:08 AM »
Im not a kid, I just dont have as much hunting experience as most of you...so drop it...ok?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 09:28:39 AM »
so what you're saying is that you're an old man and afraid to tell your age :wink:  just kidding :)