Author Topic: Aftermarket magazine question  (Read 624 times)

Offline broken arrow

• Trade Count: (0)
Aftermarket magazine question
« on: July 04, 2003, 05:13:06 AM »
I need another magazine for my Sig P-229, These "promags" are alot cheaper than factory mags. Anyone have an opinion on these? I usually stick to manufacturer mags, but for a spare? :excuseme:
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Experience with aftermarket mag in my Taurus beretta 92.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 12:37:50 PM »
When I bought my Taurus Beretta 92 clone in 1997 it came with a factory 10 round mag.  I bought an aftermarket one from (it may have been Cheaper than Dirt) later, this clip was a 15 round type in blued steel.

The construction was crude, with some noticable spot welds on the back part.  Yet, it worked really well, never had a jam, and the price was low.  I noticed that Cheaper than Dirt has a 15 rounder for my CZ-75, am thinking about buying it.  I don't expect it to be of CZ quality, but at $16.97, versus $28.97 for a factory 10 rounder.  It would be a savings, and besides I don't think CZ is going to come out with a 15 rounder with the current gun laws on the books. :oops:

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 08:42:11 AM »
Promag, the brand name are generally good quality aftermarket mags. I have several for different firearms and have had no problems. Do you mean a spare for target and fun or for defense and carry? The best advice is shoot it a lot and prove it reliable before you trust it.
NRA Lifer

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 12:30:58 PM »
I intend to carry it in a mag pouch as a backup. I agree about proving it. It came in the mail today. Seems real sturdy and of quality construction. Slides in the magazine well and drops free. I'll go to the range to qualify on the 18th. I'll put it through it's paces. Thanks!
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline labsrule

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2003, 02:22:01 AM »
Mec-Gar provides OEM mags to Sig.  Priced far less on internet purchase from Mec-Gar than thourgh Sig.  I just bought some for my P226 at $22.15 for blued.... nickel would have been $24.60.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,  for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 12:48:52 PM »
The Pro Mags I have seen are of poor quality and unreliable. For a few bucks more you can get Mec-Gar or McCormic. Much better quality.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,