Author Topic: Where to get a bolt for the stock  (Read 523 times)

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Where to get a bolt for the stock
« on: March 31, 2008, 03:03:39 PM »
Hi , I got this survivor buttstock , trouble is , there was no bolt for it and a regular bolt from a wood stock is too short , I figure I need one about 5 inches long , the wood stock bolt is 4 inches long , been to every hardware store in the area , the bolt size is a 3/8 24 IIRC, the longest one I found was a 4 incher so thats no good , they have longer bolts but not in that thread count

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: Where to get a bolt for the stock
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 03:43:14 PM »
I don't know how you ended up with a survivor stock w/o a stock bolt, why would someone keep it when they got rid of the stock? Most used stocks, and ALL survivor stocks I have ever seen here have come with the bolts. I suggest you contact the person who you got the stock from and see if he still has it and ask him to send it to you. If all else fails I will go to the hardware store and see if I can locate one the same as my Survivor stock bolts and send it to you. The bolts cost about $1.20 and the shipping should be about $1.00..it will be on me....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »
Smallparts.com has em, but they're $6.88 for 5 of them + shipping, the local shop sells them for $1.69, but they have a $10 minimum. I think your best bet is to order one from H&R if you can't get it locally, they don't have no minimum and their shipping is very reasonable.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »
Thanks guys , I had looked over the nef site but did not see them , I couldn't believe no one had them locally in the size I needed , but now I have a place that is ordering me one of the correct thread count in a bolt length of 5 1/2 inches. I knew it did not have the bolt when I bought it , But had assumed  ::) the factory 4 incher would work , and I may just have bought another one from the for sale forum here

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:12:25 PM »
Heh heh, if you read the FAQs like everyone is encouraged to do, you'd know what size it takes......and a whole lot more!! ;D ;D ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »
well holly cow , whats next , reading instructions!?!? ;)
but you're right , there it is in black and white , it says the bolt is 5 inches , I ordered 5 1/2 , good thing I have a hack saw , may need to borrow a tap an die set tho depending how far its threaded , thanks for pointing that out , lot of stuff on those faq's for sure

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 12:34:49 PM »
For the record , I got my 5 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt today , the 5 1/2 length was too long to fit , so I chopped it to the 5 inch length of the factory bolts and it still had enough threads on it to work without rethreading , so I'm in business at least with this stock , cost was $1.90 even with it being special ordered , question now is , do I sling it from the end of the buttstock or use the sling swivel at the end of the pistol grip? tried it both ways , not sure which I like the best , how about you guys? Having to make choices like this will drive me nuts ;)