Author Topic: H&R Topper 58 18" barrel, all mine!  (Read 1031 times)

Offline pullnshoot25

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Topper 58 18" barrel, all mine!
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:03:07 PM »
Well, I had to go to a gun shop in Kalifornia to sell my .44Mag Trapper 94 (since KA has really laaaame gun laws) and I noticed what looked like an NFA shotgun in the rack, knowing full well that we poor peons in Kalifornia are not allowed to own such cool weapons, nor would the gun shop display such an arm. Anyways, I couldn't resist the call and I had to buy it, it just looked too handy and was just the right weight and length. I tried to get the dealer down from 100 to 80 but he wouldn't budge so I caved in and bought it. It was 137.75 OTD. I know now that you can buy a brand new H&R for not much more (in a free state, that is) but I just couldn't resist! Now I have to wait 10 days, aaargh!

I also have a couple questions...

1) Where can I find a manual for disassembly of this shotgun? I am thinking that I might do a parkerizing job on it.
2) Is it possible to mount sights on this shotgun?
3) Is it also possible to have the barrel threaded on the inside for a slug choke, etc?

Just curious, this seems like a really good shotgun to work on. Any help is appreciated!

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Re: H&R Topper 58 18" barrel, all mine!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 02:36:41 PM »
Sounds like you got the bug BAD ;D

Here is a link to the H&R site for the manuals

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/manuals.aspx

Yes, it is possible to mount sights on it.  Many here have done it using JB Weld or the new Heavy Duty Loc-Tite.  The barrels are too thin to drilled and tapped.  Do a search, there are lots of threads that discuss it.  I think there may even be a sticky on it in the rifle forum.\

Yes, it can be threaded for choke tubes.  I had a Tracker I 20ga done and it was about $75 and that included 1 tube.

Have fun.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 04:09:43 PM »
Hi , what does kali have against the win trapper? and what kind of money did you get for it?

Offline pullnshoot25

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:48:53 PM »
Well, you cant just sell your gun and be done with it. It has to be you hook up with the buyer, go to the gun shop, the seller pays 35 bucks for the transfer, you get fingerprinted, etc. All of that takes about 35-60min. THEN the buyer has to WAIT 10 days.

This procedure is only for rifles not older than 50yrs old and doesnt fall in the ban list for KA.

I sold my Trapper for 425.

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:58:24 PM »
Oh , I understand , I thought you ment kali was now making the trappers illegal to have and thats why you had to sell it , but now I follow you.
Sad to hear you let it go ,the winchesters in pistol calibers  are hard to come by and certainly don't come cheap