Author Topic: Sizing Lube  (Read 893 times)

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Sizing Lube
« on: March 30, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »
Here's a thread on Gun Broker about sizing lube for all you reloaders. When I'm out of my lube I might try this myself. I just came from our local Wal Mart today and see they have it for 5 bucks. Dave
http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=296534

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: Sizing Lube
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »
Hey Dave thanks for the link. I've never heard of using Mink oil for sizing lube before. I didn't really care for the way he cleans the lube back off, boiling, washing and drying.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
I really, really like Hornady One Shot, works great!!  :) Lay the brass out, necks toward me, spray down the row at an angle to get into the necks and on the shoulder, then a shot down the row on the rest of the case, roll em 180º and repeat, no need to wash or tumble to clean em, just a wipe with a paper towel. ;)

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 07:09:05 PM »
Best stuff I have ever found is the spray on furniture polish/wax, just a little on your fingers and rub the cases and it is better than anything I have found and is cheap.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline wtroger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:16:32 AM »
I know you folks aren't very high on Lee products but there case lube is all I use. It is water based doesn't effect primers or powder. Put a little on my index finger and roll the case throught hit the inside of the neck with a swab with some on it good to go. After shell is loaded wipe the whole thing down with alcohol ready to shoot.

Offline chrsm

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:56:12 AM »
the mink oil shoe polish also makes a great bedding release agent

Offline ib_crawlin

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:42:09 PM »
I know you folks aren't very high on Lee products but there case lube is all I use. It is water based doesn't effect primers or powder. Put a little on my index finger and roll the case throught hit the inside of the neck with a swab with some on it good to go. After shell is loaded wipe the whole thing down with alcohol ready to shoot.

+1, except I use a Windex moistened old t-shirt to clean freshly loaded cartridges. One tube lasts a long time!

Ron

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 03:47:34 AM »
I started using Imperial Sizing Die Wax from Midway several years ago.It is great stuff.One little can goes a looooong. way.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline ben.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »
           In 50 years of reloading I've tried most everything. For the last 10 years I found what I think works best. I put cases in a large mouth plastic bottle with 3 squirts of Dillon case lube. Swish it a
little bit. Let set for 5 minutes. I have tried lyman Dillon and I think Hornady. Like Dillon best.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 09:09:56 PM »
I've tried many different types and makes of lube.  I finally settled on the Lee lube.  It works best for me.  I hate that sticky stuff RCBS makes.  The Lee works just like wtroger says.  It is the only thing I use now, has been for the last 15 years.  After I have re-sized all my cases I spray them down with WD-40 to remove the lube.  Could easily wipe it off with a rag, but I'm picky.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline ECV Slick

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 12:03:05 AM »
I just picked up a tin of the Imperial die wax and haven't had a chance to try it yet..  I'd always had my best luck using a pad with the "gooey" lube in the tube.  Aerosols - like "one shot" never lubed my shells enough and I had lots of excessive brass working - BUT, I should be clear that in those cases I was sizing surplus .308 brass fired from the loose chambers of F/A guns and they were in need of LOTS of resizing.  The aerosol probably would word for full-length sizing in guns with tight chambers or bolt actions.
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason…

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 06:57:02 AM »
I just picked up a tin of the Imperial die wax and haven't had a chance to try it yet.

This is what I use.  user VERY LITTLE!  Get a little on your fingers and wipe it on the case.  When I first started, I put on to much and the body of the case ended up with wrinkles in it.  It wipes right off with a rag when your done.  I will put a little inside the neck of a case to lube the expander, but only once per 50 rounds or so. Only down side is the stuff gets on your hands but wipes off with a rag or soap and water.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 09:26:28 AM »
I have imperial sizing wax for some of my rifle and straight wall pistol cases.  When I am sizing a large lot (several hundred) I put them in an old 9x13 baking pan and hit them with about 4 squirts of the dillon case lube.  I have also made my own lube with lanolin and rubbing alcohol.  Only bad thing about making your own you have to bring it to a boil in a double boiler.  I hate the thought of accidentally spilling the alcohol on a hot stove.

Steve  :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 09:31:35 AM »
I switched from Lee's goop to One Shot spray.
I won't be going back any time soon.

Offline tmccray45

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 02:48:03 PM »
For a couple of years of reloading, I used the Lee lube.  It worked well, but every-now-and-then, I would have too much lube and would dent the brass, or would not have enough and would have the brass hang up.

About two months ago, I was reloading and happened to have a tube of Permatex White Lithium Grease on the bench.  On a whim, I put a little on my finger (and I mean a LITTLE) and lubed the outside of the brass.   I used a Q-Tip to lube the inside and put it in my Lee press.   Activating the handle, I couldn't believe the difference.

I would be stretching the truth to say that there was zero resistance, but it was darn near zero!   WOW!  What a difference!

"OK," sez I.   "Will the use of the lithium grease effect the performance at the range?"   

No.  Not one whit.   No difference - nada.   I've used it on several calibers and several loads within each caliber.   They have all gone "bang" at the proper time and have made no difference in the on-paper performance.
"Work: The New Retirement"