Author Topic: sabots for closer shots  (Read 626 times)

Offline mike65

• Trade Count: (0)
sabots for closer shots
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good sabot for shorter range (40-60 yd.) shots? They all seem designed for 100+ yds. (That's all I read about in the ratings.) I'd like something that will expand at closer range, not go right through a deer. Will coppers do the job? Any brands to avoid? I'll be shooting a Tracker 2.

thanks

Offline SDS-GEN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: sabots for closer shots
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 05:11:05 AM »
I use Remington Copper Solids and have shot deer with 12 & 20 ga from 7 yards out to around 75 and have never had a problem with them not expanding & transferring energy.  In fact I've shot coyotes and a fox with them and they even expand on the much smaller game.  The fox had an exit wound you could have put your foot into.  Also I've recovered 3 of these slugs over the years and they have all been opened to 2x diameter with all petals intact.

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
Re: sabots for closer shots
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 06:23:18 PM »
Have you tried Winchester and Remington rifled slugs?

Rifled slugs do not damage rifled barrels, they just leave a little lead behind that needs cleaning every 20 or so shots.

While sighting in my Tracker II 20g, I got one dead-on bulls eye at 50 yards, from the bench, no sandbags or rest, with Winchester rifled slug. It was the only shot I took where I concerntrated properly and gripped well after I had been all over the place because of the recoil on previous shots.

For $8.75 for 15 rounds, the value can't be beat. Give them a try, no need to spend a bunch on ammo if good quality value ammo is available.

A dead deer doesn't care how much the ammo costs.