Author Topic: .222's for whitetail's  (Read 1920 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« on: July 14, 2003, 07:48:51 AM »
Belive it or not ive been hunting whitetails for two yrs and the gun that ive been using has been a .222Rem 50grn psp's, and ive shot 6 deer...including a 9pt with a 23 inch spread that weighed over 200 lbs...it took 5 shots but i got 'em :grin: the rest were close shot's (does) that went maybe 10 yds, 15 at the most placement is what matters with them, but bucks have a little more (umph...like a need to live) it scared the(excuse my language) it scared the crap out of me when after the 3rd shot he wouldnt go down, or not even a sign of going down and it was mabye 20yds away, because #1 it was a huge deer, and #2 like I said it was the 3rd shot and it wouldnt go down!  This is the reason why im looking for another gun if anybody was wondering...any suggestions besides the ones i made(.308, or .270)
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline AKA Craig

• Avid Poster
lol
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2003, 07:58:29 AM »
My brother in law hunts with a .222 remington I am just glad he hasnt shot any deer with it yet. But he has shot a big sow with it He hit her twice in the side and we had to finish her witha 9mm.

Craig
Very Proud and Patriotic Texan.

Nothing to fear but fear itself

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2003, 10:32:01 AM »
That kind of sounds like a midget beating up a normal person.
It could happen.........But it would take a while ;)

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2003, 03:18:33 PM »
placement is everything

--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline AKA Craig

• Avid Poster
okay
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2003, 03:35:53 PM »
okay placement is important, but on the other hand why would you take the risk of wounding a deer that you may never find, like you said it took all those shots to kill that big buck, we as hunters have the responsibility to kill animals in the most ethical and humane fashion possible, sure the .222 can kill a deer but is it ethical or worth risking a wounded deer? just my 2 cents.

Craig :wink:

Offline jhm

.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2003, 03:50:27 PM »
#1:  You should always match the caliber to the game you intend to hunt amd a 222 is a stretch for whitetails it is a accurate benchrest and varmit caliber only, it is a stretch to try to use it for deer hunting, minimum 243 or  at least a 30-30 over the 222. :D    JIM

Offline savageT

.222 Rem Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2003, 03:55:26 PM »
#1 hunter,
I can't find any reason on God's Green Earth why you or I would want to use a .22 caliber rifle on any game that weighs over 150 lbs!  You are perhaps a bit too inexperienced to realize that we as sporting hunters are duty bound by rules of conscience to make a quick, clean kill, preferably with one shot.  You are to be shunned for your cavalier attitude.  Get something that will do the job, or get the hell out of the woods.
savageT........Have you hugged a '99 lately?

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most.

Offline AKA Craig

• Avid Poster
dang
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2003, 04:01:29 PM »
you said it weighed over 200 hundred pounds and took five shots to kill it can you imagine the way that animal was suffering after those 3 shots?  I personally dont believe you belong in the woods.

Craig

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2003, 04:30:19 PM »
we hunters owe it to be humane to the game we love so much.   two years experience and you are out hunting deer with a 222?   either someone gave you bad advise or you need to re-think your logic.   intentional cruelty in killing isnt something that is a joke around here.   match your caliber to the game you are after and start showing some respect for the said game.    if you need advise on how to go about that, i am sure folks around here would be more than willing to help you out.

Offline AKA Craig

• Avid Poster
lol
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2003, 04:40:45 PM »
Talk about bad advice someone told my brother in law that he shot an elk at 800 yds. and dropped him lol. this is the kinda crap people are saying omg are we in trouble. this is just the kinda crap the antis are seeing.

Craig

Offline les hemby

• Contributor
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2003, 04:44:36 PM »
placement is only 50% bullet must have penetration for other 50% i use from time to time a 223 in south tx. but only with trophy bonded bearclaw premium federal. our deer only weigh around 100lbs and bullet only has enough velocity for 100yds but it will completely exit on broadside shots but i would agree with everone else it would just break my heart to have to shoot anything until it finally went down . i believe every gun has limitations and if that ever happened to me my next trip would be with 45-70 i would rather blow it up than shoot twice and personally there is no way i would of ever told that kinda a brag on being un-ethical. i use mine under a high fence strictly for meat does. sometimes 15 around a feeder so you can pretty much pick shots even though it can be used well under special circumstances in no way is 223 a deer rifle :sniper:

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 05:04:18 PM »
les makes a good point.   22 calibers can do the job if bullet selection is right and shot placement is perfect.   the bullets 1hunter says he used are varmint bullets and most likely made very shallow, non lethal wounds.   in the hands of an expert, it can be done humanely.    for the record,   i consider myself a wicked shot with a rifle.  and i would not consider using a 22 caliber anything for deer unless  my life depended on it.

Offline AKA Craig

• Avid Poster
good point
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2003, 05:12:47 PM »
good point, but what we all have to remember is that most hunters are not capable of making a perfect shot. If you have another choice of a better caliber then for god sakes to that one if not then wait untill you do.

Craig

Offline grizzy57

• Avid Poster
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2003, 02:09:36 AM »
:)  :)  :)
I LIVE IN PA ALSO AND HAVE HUNTED WHITETAILS FOR
AROUND 45 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN OR KILLED A DEER ( BUCK OR DOE) THAT WEIGHED OVER 120 POUNDS... WISHED WE HAD SOME OF THEM BIG BUCKS AROUND HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                          TOM

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2003, 04:58:34 AM »
i know i shouldnt use it thats why im looking to buy  a new gun....i diddnt have the money to be going out and be buying a gun....now i do...that gun has been passed down for a long time, and i really dont think its right for (AKA Craig)to be saying i dont belong in the woods i love to be out there and just sit there, i can sit in the woods all day without getting bored, some of you know what i mean....but what im trying to say is dont judge me when you dont know me...

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 05:31:44 AM »
well when you make a post that is entitled "222 for whitetails, lol"  it implys that you think what you described as funny.    and by throwing that out there,  you have to man up and take the chewings you get.   now you can get huffy over it; or you can use it to better yourself as a hunter and a person and take the guidance now offered to you.   it is your choice how you handle it.    for the record,  considering what you posted,   akacraig wasnt too far off.    
you seem like a young person who either got bad advise or made a bad decision.  either way, you should correct it.   all hunters all go through process of maturing, and i suspect that is what you are going through; and all of us have been there to one degree or another.     take the solid advise offered here, and dont hold a grudge on the guys who rightfully check you on your behavoir.  
btw,   i have shot deer over 200,   mostly does.   the biggest buck i killed was a brute of a deer (with antlers to match) and it weighed 174 pounds field dressed.   add the guts and it was certainly over 200 live.   does though,  are usually weigh more than bucks around here.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 05:45:12 AM »
a few questions for 1hunter:   how old are you?  do you have someone around to offer GOOD  advise?    what do you want to get out of hunting/ why do you hunt?

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 06:49:18 AM »
myronman3:My father is still around(thank you god) for good advice, I hunt because its hard to explain...here it goes...i think its in my heart everytime i hear somthing related to or look at a magazine about hunting my heart skips a beat, and my stomach feels kind of funny(a good funny) i cant sleep on the first day of anything, even squirrel,and theres so much about it i cant explain...that sort of answers your questions, but i dont think its right for you to be questioning me, ok?

Offline savageT

.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 07:28:56 AM »
#1 hunter,
You seem like an intellegent young man who speaks and writes well.  We all went through a beginning period where all we wanted to do is blast away at what ever fell in our sights.  Somewhere I read about the 4-stages of a hunter....I don't remember it well (its the old age creeping in) but something like this:
1.  Itchy Finger: My first gun....  I'll blast anything that gets in my sights!
2.  New Hunter: My first deer hunt.  Oh God, pray that I can fill my tags.
3.  Mature Hunter: I've had my fill of bucks and does.  Wish I could have found those that got away.
4.  Trophy Hunter: Now that I'm older, I'll wait to pick and choose only the best trophy, the best shot.  Let the rest go to other hunters or grow another season.

This is a loose translation but you see what I am getting at.  You must be above reproach....as if a game warden were standing at your side every minute, every day.  We all wish you well.  Don't be afraid of critisism, it's what makes us a better person, a more mature hunter.  Best of Luck in your love of the outdoors.

Jim

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 11:42:58 AM »
Quote from: THE#1hunter
i dont think its right for you to be questioning me, ok?

fair enough.  if you dont feel comfortable answering a question,  dont.   look.  all that is important here is that you know that using the 222 on deer isnt right.   in reading other posts i see you are thinking on a 270.   good choice.   a well placed shot and they will drop in their tracks.   i have yet to see one hit well take even one step; and i shot one nice buck at a dead run once, he didnt even twitch after he was hit.   he just dropped dead.  i was amazed.    i am sure that when you shot your buck and he wouldnt go down, you got a very sick feeling (as in ' what do i have to do?').   with a 270, put that bullet in the heart/lung area and they will be down before the gunshot fades.    
  the reason i ask those questions were to make you think about it for yourself.   we all feel the same way when we hunt and that is why we all enjoy talking about it so much.    the thrill of the chase.    
good luck with getting your new gun, and good shooting.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 02:40:02 PM »
thnx again for the help....about that questioning thing i was still a little mad at the time, please forgive me...so ask away with the questions :D , i feel much better now that i have thought it through and realized that you ppl are just trying to help, thnx again

Offline savageT

.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 03:03:08 PM »
#1 hunter,

Nice work friend!  Keep the chin up and keep us posted on the big decision....last time I heard, you were going with the .308 over the .270.  Either one will certainly nail any whitetail very effectively and humanely as long as you do your part.  Remember also, caliber is not the only concern.  You've got to use the right bullet as well.  Maybe somewhere down the pike I can talk you into a front-stuffer (that's a muzzle loader with a flint-lock there in PA)!  Best Wishes.

Jim.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 03:47:44 PM »
thnx again....ill keep in touch :D

Offline JACKNZ

.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2003, 02:17:27 AM »
Here in NewZealand a lot of pro hunters used to use 222s on deer an they did a good job,but they were shooting every day an shooting a lot of deer.
Most folks around here say the 222 is not a deer rifle but some young guys still try them anyways.I shoot a.308 an my deer stay shot,I will not even let a 222 in my camp,I also think a .243 is a little on the light side but guys use em, an do ok.There is a reason the .308 an.270 are most popular around here an thats because they work.end of story..
 Jack
NZJACK

Offline Brushhunter

.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2003, 01:52:54 PM »
Well, we might not know you, but we know what you said in your earlier posts. And what you said was that you shot a deer several times with a .222 in order to kill it. If you can't afford the equipment, don't take it out on the deer.  How would you like it if you were about to be operated on and the surgeon said gee, I can't afford a scalpel, I think I'll use this Swiss army knife?  Hunting isn't a god-given right, you know.  It's a privilege.  You earn the right to hunt by being a good woodsman and sportsman, not by running around shooting at animals when you're more likely to wound them than harvest them humanely.  It's crap like this that gives anti-hunters ammo to use on the rest of us.  My friend, your actions don't just reflect on you, they reflect on the whole sport of hunting.  Grow up and take some responsibility for what you do in the woods.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2003, 02:47:22 PM »
People are judged by what they do, and what they dont do.  That determines who you are and what kind of person we perceive you to be.  That is the way it is in the real world.  

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2003, 07:56:42 AM »
Brushhunter, you are really starting to get on my nerves myFRIEND :x

Offline Brushhunter

.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2003, 08:09:45 AM »
OK, apology number three, since I seem to have yelled at you three times, something of a record, even for me.  I should have kept my tone and my opinions to myself.  It's an online forum, you didn't ask for my help or my remarks, and I was wrong to chew you out when you obviously didn't know that a .222 isn't the greatest deer caliber around.  I'm hoping that in the future I can offer you something more constructive and helpful, and I apologise for having upset you.  You'll love the new .270 and I wish you the best with it.   Who knows, maybe we'll end up in the same deer camp one day:)  Peace, bro.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
.222's for whitetail's
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2003, 11:15:56 AM »
This thread has gotten out of hand more than once. I don't allow name callng or personal attacks on this site and really several of the posts up and down this thread have fallen into those categories. So this is gonna be the last post in the thread as I'm locking it when I finish this.

The subject of using .22 centerfires on big game (mostly deer and antelope) is an old one and a controversial one. It is legal in many states. Where legal you and I have no basis for attacking folks who chose to do it. I don't personally approve of the practice but then I've never tried it either. One of the major magazine writers did. Can't recall right off hand but it seems it was either Layne Simpson, Rick Jamison or his royal highness Boddington. Matters not really which.

To make a long story short he used both factory ammo and reloads all of which used bullets now touted by the makers as for use on large game such as deer and antelope. His conclusion was it worked quite well as long as you confined your shots to the heart/lung area.

A bad shot is a bad shot is a bad shot. Don't matter what you hit the game with. Yeah a larger caliber and heavier bullet "might" anchor the game a bit better with poor placement or at least leave a better blood trail for a follow up shot. But a bad shot is still that and you're still gonna need multiple shots to finish the animal. I dare say at one point or another we've all made a bad shot and had to shoot again to finish the critter.

I really hate it when the topic of using the .22 centerfires on deer comes up. It brings out too many strong emotions in folks on both sides of the issue and they begin to react prior to placing brain in gear. I feel that has happened in this thread. For the most part apologies have been offered and accepted all the way around. Now let's drop it and move on to more important things than bashing one another about the choice of firearm or caliber for hunting when it is legal to use at the time and place.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!