Author Topic: 22 hornet +209 primer+air rifle pellet=fun  (Read 2043 times)

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
22 hornet +209 primer+air rifle pellet=fun
« on: April 06, 2008, 02:41:02 PM »
Ok got mid 300fps with small rifle primer and an unmodified hornet case.  Got 763fps with a modified hornet case and 209 primer.  I modified it with a UNIBIT with long taper.  I was able to recess the rim of the 209 enought to not have to file any of the hornet case rim for a good fit at the breech.  I also used a regular bit to allow a slip fit of the primer into the case.  The 22 cal air rifle pellet is 14gr Daisy flat nose.  I seat the pellet by placing it on its nose and pushing the mouth of the case over it until it is flush with the case mouth.  The skirt is slightly larger than the head and once it is half way or so it easily straightens up and finally the head squares everything into place.  The fired primer is pushed right out with a q-tip and a new one is pushed right back in with thumb pressure.  I had zero carbon blow past the primer.  Didnt get to shoot for accuracy, but left a very large impact crater in the soft mud I was shooting into.  I'll try to get some pics up this week.

Thanks for the info to start this from Badnew Bob and see this thread for the start of the info.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,141810.0.html

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Re: 22 hornet +209 primer+air rifle pellet=fun
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »
I had wondered about doing something very similar.  Only I thought about modifing a AIR (17 cal) rifle barrel to accept a 209 primer.  I figure on using a break action air rifle.  Reaming out the back of the barrel to accept the primer, and placing a homemade firing pin, in the receiver portion of the rifle, letting the air pressuse force the pin into the primer.  The primer would push the pellet.  I haven't dont it cause it would most likely make it a firearm and might cause me to have unwanted nighttime visitations.

It's a thought though.

One thing you might try, is fill the reamed out case with lead or cerosafe, and drilling out a 22 cal hole from the mouth to the primer.  The gas expanding in even the Hornet case, before reaching the pellet, could likely cause it so slow enough to cost you 100fps.

BTW, how loud is this?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 12:45:35 AM »
The 209 is as loud as  firing one off in an in-line without a charge.  The unmodified one with a small rifle primer was hardly audible.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »
I hadn't shot mine in awhile..... guess I'm gonna have to break it out for some more testing ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:40:17 AM »

How about trying to enlarge the flash hole in the case and then use a small rifle primer?

Is a 209 primer that much hotter?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Gemsbok

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 04:11:09 PM »
Glad to see someone is having fun with that barrel, Jerry. :)