Author Topic: Pedersoli price difference question...  (Read 713 times)

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
Pedersoli price difference question...
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:52:51 PM »
 Anyone know why Dixie is selling the flint 'country hunter' for so much less than the percussion model?

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=country+hunter&x=5&y=7

I have a Pedersoli rifle very similar to the Country hunter (marked Navy Arms). Mine has a mule ear lock with a nice walnut stock and adjustable rear sight. Lock is color case and the bbl is polished blue, not matt finished. Quality is pretty good overall. A nice light rifle that my Wife and Son don't find too heavy to use.

Does anyone have any experience with the flint model? Is the lock any good? I'd like to get one for my first flintlock if the quality is comparable to the rifle I have now.
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline chickenlittle

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pedersoli price difference question...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:42:56 AM »
I'd guess they are just discounting something they've had for a while. I check their site every so often and sometimes find something interesting for a good price but I can't recall ever buying something from them. The country hunter looks like a decent deal at that price. It is a plain looking gun. Pedersoli locks are usually ok. My concern would be the fast barrel twist 1:32". A slower twist would be better for roundballs but this is probably ok with lighter loads. This gun may work better with conicals or saboted bullets. If you are thinking roundball shooter, you might consider a Lyman Deerstalker for about the same price with a 1:48" twist. Here is a link to one at Midsouth.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000156033146