Author Topic: Ruger LCP380  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Ruger LCP380
« on: March 16, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
Well, does anyone have one yet.  Lets hear some reviews from owners.  I watched the video on gunblast.  Do you have one on order, are they even out yet???

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: Ruger LCP380
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
I'm waiting on one.  I think I'm about 15 in line at my local gun dealer.  On the day I ordered mine, he let me handle one that was due to go out to a customer.  I had the P3AT in one hand and the Ruger in the other, because I had been looking at the Kel Tek for a couple of weeks.  They are practically identical in size and shape, but the Ruger just felt more solid and precise.  That made up my mind, along with the fact that this is my first pocket pistol and the Ruger will be easier to sell if pocket carry does not work out for some reason.  I checked in on Wednesday and he said he got three out to customers that day.  I'm still waiting for my turn.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:27:11 PM »
What kind of price.  I hear they are going for under $300.  Is that true??

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 03:53:30 PM »
Yep, $299 was what they quoted me for the LCP.  For comparison, their Kel tek P3AT was marked $320 but the gentleman said he'd sell me one for $279.  The best I've seen for the P3AT new was $270 at the gun show last month.  Folks tell me they can be had for less than that but I haven't seen it.  For the difference in the name and apparent quality I don't mind giving up to $50 more for the Ruger.

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »
I hear ya.  Peace of mind carries not price tag.  With a Ruger, you know what ya get.  You know that if you have any problem at all, they will stand behind their product and bend over backward to make it right.  That, in my opinion, is worth the extra $$$.

Thanks, Curt.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:35:57 AM »
Based on my past experiences with Ruger and my experience with the Kel-Tecs I've bought I'd take the Kel-Tec personally.  :o

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:33:25 AM »
Thanks Graybeard.  If I needed a pistol "rat now" I'd get the Kel Tek without reservation.  As a matter of fact I almost bought at the gun show last month, but I couldn't make up my mind between the P32 and P3AT and wanted to do some more research.  Alas, that's when I ran across the LCP which again gave me more options.

If this thing turns into months instead of weeks I may cave and get the P3AT, but I like the slightly more solid feel of the Ruger and also the ability to lock the slide back.  The only thing that puts me off Kel Tek at all are the articles on "fluff and buff" that many of them need.  I am comfortable with finishing out a firearm, but it just seems to me that "little extra" should be done at the factory.

Curtis

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
ive got one on order too. I figure if its junk it sure shouldnt be hard to get rid of with everyone looking for them.
blue lives matter

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:31:14 AM »
I'd go with the Kel-Tec as well.  They've come a long way.  I just bought a PF9 and am really happy with it.  Yes, I did a couple minor things like polishing the feed ramp but no big deal.  I like the look of the LCP's but they're just SOOO small.  I just don't feel comfortable with it in my hand...same with the P3AT.  The P3AT has the great Armalite laser for it too!  I've used it and it's worth having the Kel-Tec over the Ruger just for that.  My $0.02.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Wambo

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »
Posted by: Graybeard 

Based on my past experiences with Ruger and my experience with the Kel-Tecs I've bought I'd take the Kel-Tec personally.   

I'm curious as to why. There must be more to it ;)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 06:03:11 PM »
I've told my sad tale of woe with the many Rugers I've owned far too many times to rehash again here. Suffice to say for one reason or another they always end up disappointing me for reasons of accuracy or quality or both and end up going away quickly. Oh there have been a few that seemed perfectly fine both accuracy and quality wise but they were few and far between and still for one reason or another I let them go after tiring of them quickly.

The Kel-Tecs over all seem well made guns that work. I once had a P11 that was nice to carry but I couldn't hit the inside of a barn with it with the door closed. That one I let get away even tho it functioned perfectly and never hiccupped a time. My little P32 has never failed to fire and is quite accurate. It's a keeper.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Wambo

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »
Thanks Graybeard! I will have to look at the Kel-Tec alot more closely. I haven't had any experience with it and don't know of anyone personally who has one, but I have own Rugers before that worked well. I can't imagine that all Rugers may be bad, but I'm sure all manufacturers have had bad apples from time to time.

Offline whynot

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:19:09 AM »
I second Greybeard on this one. I have had several Rugers that were very inaccurate, Ruger just blew me off.

As for the Keltecs, I own 3 P3AT's and all have been perfect. Never fail to feed with any ammo I've tried.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 03:50:21 AM »
Nope not all Rugers are bad I just have an uncanny knack of finding those that are.  ::)

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 05:17:29 AM »
I would certainly consider the Ruger but would want to try the trigger first. I have a P3AT which has been 100% reliable with every sort of ammo I could find to try and accurate enough for a belly gun but I can't get used to the trigger. I have done the fluff and buff and it is light and smooth enough but it's the trigger location and travel that bugs me. It doesn't release until just before it touches the frame and the tip of my trigger finger touches the tip of my thumb about half way through the travel. I'd like the trigger about 1/2" more forward or a shorter travel.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »
come on out of the closet bill we know you love them and fondle them when nobodys looking!!
blue lives matter

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
the kel tec was fine for its intended use and I carried one for a good while... it had a trigger that was a problem for me... but that was the only problem... it was light, mine did not jam ever... and it was so small I put it inside so many places to hide it ... for a belly gun, it was fine... I would probably consider the nine MM but the 3 AT was not a problem.
dk

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 07:55:06 PM »
It would be interesting to look at a p3at and the ruger side by side torn down into there respective parts.

I looked at the diagram on rugers site and it looks exactly like my diagram of the p3at that came with mine... The only difference I could see was the grip was molded with a few different recesses and checkering was different. All the other parts seemed to look the same.

Offline lashlaruhe

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 06:06:30 AM »
I believe that if you look at the extractors on the P-3AT and the LCP, you can see that they are not the same. The LCP has a far better type extractor and should work very well.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 02:50:31 AM »
Interesting discussion.  I owned a P32 kel-tec (my wife still does) and it was great for what it was for, but the accuracy disappointed me, so I sold it.  If I were to go back to that type of pistol, it would be a 9mm, either a PF9 or P11, mostly because of more ammo choices, power and availability of cheap ammo for practice.  I have no confidence in a .32 or .380 for defense.   I would seriously look at the PF9 Kel-Tec.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 03:50:59 AM »
While the fasination of this NEW offering from Ruger has captured my interest, I have made a hard decision.  I have decided in favor of a revolver for CC and HD.  Ruger would be my first choice, but financial concerns have me looking at the numerous models that are offered by Charter Arms.  The smart choice, of course, would be the 357.  However, the thought of a 44SP and that large hunk of lead that it throws, is very appealing to me.  More decisions to make, but at least I am making progress.  Thanks to all of you who posted your $.02 worth on this thread. 

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline jager

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2008, 05:46:53 AM »
I got my wife a Kel-Tec P32. I got the .32 because you could buy the 10 shot "extended" magazine, which is not offered in the .380 model. It makes it easier to hit with than the regular magazine, even with her small hands. It has been 100% reliable. Many of the law enforcement people around here carry the P-3AT, and I've fire many of them. (The first ones made had an extractor problem, but they fixed the problem early on.) The small size of the pistol makes it rather hard to control on targets beyond 15 yards, but it sure meets the requirements for a "hide out" gun.  I'm anxious to hear reviews of the Ruger LCP  by "posters" here ("Gun Blasts" did a review on their site).

Offline slim rem 7

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 09:17:48 PM »
  for any .380 owners that may have doubts as to sufficent gun for the job..
  shoot an deer in the neck with 90 grn corbon.. car hit of course cause they are out of season.. but no deer would be otherwise after the hit at 20 ft or so..mugger distance..
  how they came up with a rnd that can do that much damage ,from such a little gun
 is really almost baffling,, but very reasuring...mines the kel tec.. im not gonna describe the wound as most won t believe it unless they see it in person.. i continue to be well pleased wit my little .380..and especially with that 90 corbon..

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
I find one Major problem with the kel tec and the lcp. I got the ruger LCP in my hands and it has the same issue I have with the keltec. Where if in the heat of the moment you don't let the trigger get back to full battery and pull it. The hammer won't cycle again an  you have to manually cycle the gun in order to get it to fire again. Anyone that has one I'll gladly tell what I'm talking about, make sure the gun is empty. Pull the trigger as if you were firing the gun, hold the triger back and cycle the slide as it would if you really fired the gun. now let out the trigger you will hear two clicks as it moves back to battery. if you only let it go out to the first click and the trigger is pulled again the hammer will fall from it's safety cock and rest on the firing pin. Hears the bad news if that happens and you let the trigger go back to full battery it will not cycle the hammer again like a normal double action pistol would and the only way to return it to ready is to manually cycle the slide. To me that's not a design I want to trust my life with. Kel tecs and the ruger lcp are the only designs that I know that are like this. I like the idea of the pistol where if they changed this in the design of the inner workings so it would cycle the hammer ever if this happens or make it so it won't happen I'd have one for every jacket.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
Now that's the kind of info that a "Newbie" to handguns can understand.  In the heat of a defense situation, that "design flaw" could get ya dead. 
I wonder what the folks at Ruger would have to say about that??

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »
Pretty much all semiautos ever made, handgun, rifle and shotgun require you to allow the trigger to fully return prior to pulling it again if ya want it to go bang a second time. Same applies to O/U shotguns. I've seen it hundreds of times on the skeet range where folks fail to allow the trigger to fully return before pulling again. They just don't fire. Nature of the beast if you don't like how they work then stick to revolvers.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 05:55:57 AM »
Graybeard I understand that and but pretty much all double action pistols out there if that happens all you do is let the trigger back to full battery to cycle the hammer again the kel tec lcp will not allow you to cyclle the hammer again unless you manually work the slide. If they made the hammer long enough to be able to pull it back to it's safety cock you wouldn't have to work the slide.