Author Topic: Lots of plinkers.  (Read 441 times)

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
Lots of plinkers.
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:36:04 PM »
After testing many components for a rifle and caliber... I end up with odds and ends of every sort. 

Today I had three cans of powder, and about four boxes of bullets which hadn't been used up... and I just hadn't found a great load for.  So I decided to clean up the bench a little, and use up as much of this as I could.  I ended up using all the odd bullets in all the -06 brass I had available, and used up two cans and almost the third of powder.

From what started as using up the end bits... came out to be about 150 cartridges, in about five different loads combinations. 

I guess after settling on two bullet styles and one, maybe two powders (actually haven't settle the powder thing yet for my hunting load...) all the left overs needed to go somewhere. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: Lots of plinkers.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:26:52 AM »
I too have had to do that once ot twice just to clear off some bench space and may have to do it again soon , does make for some fun shooting tho .

Still not sure how i end up with 3 bullets left in one box and 5 in another and so on when i try to load in even numbers .  ???

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 02:53:23 AM »
I know what you are saying and the miscellaneous assortment of short lots seem to really grow if left unchecked.
I really do strive for 100rd lots with all being the same but sometimes may recieve a box of 20 factory as a gift, or have a buddy and his friends give me a factory box of 50 once fired cause they dont reload.
You try to match things up for even lots of 50 to 100 but can still have some left-over primers from load testing or an odd amount of bullets left over which can be frustrating.
I too will keep this stuff separated and reserved for light load plinking. It makes great fodder that can be reserved for when friends or family want to shoot which may just be a couple three times per year.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 03:24:04 AM »
When I was really heavy into shooting silhouette I always had partial box's of ammo I was trying out. Different loads and bullets, what not. Use to give them to my brother if he was heading to the range to shoot up, with the stipulation that he keep the brass separate from  what I had loaded for him. Don't shoot nearly the amount in match's, pretty much have the loads settled in for the guns I shoot, so not as many ''seconds'' as I use to call them. Just last year my brother asked me, any ammo you need to get rid of. He's always been pretty good at helping me out at keeping my ''seconds'' shot up, and at making sure my beer supply doesn't get stale. I guess he figured that after shooting up my ''seconds'', he deserved a beer for ''helping'' me out!!  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Lawful Larry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Just another voice in the crowd!!!

Offline K.K

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »
It's a good thing that components keep well if stored correctly!  I have the same problem. I keep them to load for friends that may get a new rifle and we are searching for load. Of course, I could load up a mismash of plinkers too! I like that idea.