Author Topic: NWTF shotgun - question  (Read 676 times)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
NWTF shotgun - question
« on: April 18, 2008, 05:10:00 AM »
I would appreciate any help from the vast knowledge in this forum.   I recently inherited a NEF shotgun from my uncle.  It is the single shot, 12 gauge, 3 1/2" chamber, 28" barrel with external screw in extra-full choke.  I had a buddy of mine pattern it with Winchester 3 1/2" #6 turkey loads and it is absolutely devastating out to 45 yards.   

My problem is my aging eyes.   I simply cannot see the small bead and the target together clearly enough to feel comfortable hunting.   I want to mount a red dot scope but there are no provisions on the barrel for a scope mount.  I have read in some other forums about people using JB Weld or epoxy to mount scopes but I have a concern with it being strong enough for the recoil of this turkey cannon. 

Any experience or advice would be appreciated. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline cgoff

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: NWTF shotgun - question
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:00:16 AM »
  Not sure about a scope mount, but I JB welded a a set of rifle sights on my turkey gun and have had no problems so far

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:51:56 AM »
Is this a vent rib barrel? If so there are some real good clamp on sights out there.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 03:36:57 PM »
No vent rib on it .....just a plain round barrel with a brass bead front sight. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline tireman

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 05:14:28 PM »
You can get fiber light site to replace the bead. That helps a lot and is cheap.  Clark

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 05:39:24 PM »
 They make a front bead that will go into the hole of your brass bead that is fiber optic Hi-Vis or some thing like that it is called if you are just having trouble seeing both the target and the bead that should help alot or you may even be able to take a dab of white paint on the brass to pick it up. I am not sure a scope rail would stay put with JB I know some guys have done it when the had at least one screw holding it along with the JB but those        3 1/2 throw quite a punch.Kurtt 
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:06:28 AM »
I think I'll try one of the Fiber HiVis sights and see if that helps.  If it doesn't at least I don't have a lot of time and $$ spent.    Thanks for the replies.   I'll give you an Aging Eye report after I try it out.   

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »
Something like this might work

or maybe this

I have the HiViz Spark site on my NEF 10GA Turkey Thumper (aka The Street Sweeper).  I installed it and added a little loc-tite to the threads to keep it in place.  Don't want it turning sideways when ole tommy three toes comes strutting by.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense