Author Topic: 45ACP - XD 5" Tactical vs Glock 21SF vs S&W M&P  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
45ACP - XD 5" Tactical vs Glock 21SF vs S&W M&P
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:51:23 AM »
I am looking at the various .45s out there and I have decided I don't want another 1911 style auto. I would like to use whatever I choose for general shooting and possibly IDPA. The problem is, I don't have a clue which is the best pistol in regards to shootability. I know that is a subjective opinion, but I would like some opinions on what YOU like the best, preferably based on shooting experience and previous or current ownership.

Any help in helping me decide which one to purchase would be greatly appreciated. Of course, every time I look at these three, the Taurus PT1911 lurks in the background even though I vowed not to buy another 1911.

Thanks,

Steve

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 45ACP - XD 5" Tactical vs Glock 21SF vs S&W M&P
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:23 AM »
of the 3 mentioned i haven't heard to much bad about any of them so if it was me i would get the springfield but i am not a glock fan and have heard nothing but good about the XD but that is just my opinion I prefer the look and feel but haven't shot  the XD yet i have also heard alot of the winner in the competitions have started useing the XD and beating the glock shooters.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
I have 4800 rounds through my 5" tactical with zero malfunctions. Both of my brothers and my father own XD's and they love theirs too. All three are quality guns, try them all if you can, if you can't get the XD and you'll be happy.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 09:16:51 AM »
No experience with the 21F, but my Glock model 30 has not malfunctioned in 7 years.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »
No first hand experience with the XD or the M&P. Owned a Glock 21 that I carried as a duty weapon for a number of years. Can't think of anything to fault it for. I'm sure there's nothing the XD or MP can do that the Glock can't do as well or better. Sone of the things that tip the scale in the favor of the Glock is it's track record of many years of service, simplicity of design, and parts availability, (factory and aftermarket). Based on those factors alone, the Glock would be my choice. How a handgun "Feels" should be your last consideration. Most anyone can learn to shoot well with most any platform, if they are willing to practice as they should.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
All are quality handguns...If possible, you need to actually put your hands on each and every one of them to see how they "feel."  If you can arrange a shooting session that would be even better.  Do you have gun ranges in your area that rent guns?  If so, I would try and rent these guns if they are available and have at it.  The Glock has been around for a long time and it is a proven design.  The XD is relatively new but has proven itself a worthy competitor to the Glock.  The aftermarket is growing for XD pistols.  The M&P is the newest of the three and therefore does not have the pedigree or the tremendous aftermarket...Yet.

Good luck with your decision...Have you thought of how you would like to carry your future purchase?
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Steve in Michigan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
Well, fate kind of helped me decide what to get. I went to my local Gander Mountain, not with the intention to buy yet, but to get a feel for the three. No Smith M&P .45s in stock, but I got to finger up a .40. I decided I don't like the Glock grip angle, which is why I gave my model 17 to my son. They just happened to have a used XD-45 Tactical that probably didn't have 100 rounds through it by looking at it. It was love at first sight/feel/price. It came with the XD gear including three magazines and the guy had also included a Blackhawk CQC Serpa paddle holster. I was really impressed with the grip feel and the overall balance of the gun, and I really was holding out for a 5" barrel (as in Tactical), so it made the trip with me to its new home. I can't wait to shoot it. I guess one big factor between the M&P and the XD, if you care about such things, is that the M&P only has a 10-round magazine and the XD holds 13. That should git 'er done!

Thanks for all the great advice,

Steve

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
I  have a M&P45, XD40  5" Tactical and a Glock 22 40. Prefer the XD first, M7P 2nd, and Glock a distant third.