Author Topic: A story that needs to be heard  (Read 582 times)

Offline nilescoyote

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
A story that needs to be heard
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:14 PM »
This happened to me a while ago but I feel the need to share... and vent....

I made plans to go shooting clay's with a friend. Stopped by Wal-mart to pick up some 12ga shells. Found the 100 round box of #8's and skipped off to the register.

After getting home I packed up the gear only to find out I had bought 20ga shells.   No problem, store is only 5 minutes away I'll just do a exchange.....

Walked back into wal-mart with the item (old man/woman never stopped me to put a return item sticker on my box as no one was "guarding the door") skipped up to the return counter and explained what had happened. After talking to two CS rep's they call in the manager.

Manager explained to me that there was no way I could return or exchange these. (a little more involved here but I'll keep it short) As they do not allow it. So....

Off I skip to the gun counter (I got a ace up my sleeve the manager don't know about). Talked to the fellow at the register whom just sold me the shells not more than 40 minutes ago. Told him what I did and why I need to exchange them. No problem he says. but I'll just have to call the manager for the key to make the transaction work... With a grin I say "no problem, I'm in no hurry"

Same manager comes walking back (not very happy to see ME again. Manager asks what I'm doing as he is Not going to help me.

I all most said "Here's your sign" but didn't. I just asked if he was now making policy or braking it... With a troubled look he says, "What". I point to a sign clearly displayed inside the secured gun locker on the gun counter that read "returns on ammo not excepted after 48 hours of purchase" And read it aloud to him just in case he was on a learning curve.

The exchange went through after that and the sign was immediately
removed by the manager as I skipped out the door....

Since then I have stopped spending my $150 a week on groceries there and encourage my wife to not shop there as much as possible.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: A story that needs to be heard
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:16:18 AM »
  I still shop at my closest Walmart..price wise, their brand name groceries can only be matched by the discount stores that carry "store brands" and don't even furnish bags.
  I goofed at buying ammo a couple months back, I bought a couple 50 round boxes of WW .22 mag..got home and discovered I had solids instead of the HPs I really wanted, as I almost never use solids.
  I did recall the sign that said flat "no returns on ammo" ...and just "swallowed" my mistake, figuring the boxes were clearly labeled "solids".
    I guess if I were the manager, I would have tried to accomodate you..but there is something about ammo..a lot of gun shops have the same "no returns on ammo"
  sign posted.

In any case, If I refused to buy groceries at a Walmart Supercenter..getting brand names at a local super market would run, I estimate 20% to 30% more $$.

In my case, I would just be "cutting my nose off, to spite my face"..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:38:49 AM »
Well guys, walmarts is off my shopping list.  The corporate headquarters just signed an agreement with nyc mayor bloomberg to collect data and initiate a tracking program for any firearms used in crimes, which means that walmarts is now going to establish a data base and tracking system that can be used by the nypd. 

No thanks.  Mikey.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:08:33 AM »
There really are good reasons for the "no ammo returns" policy many stores have. Folks these days are not beyond taking out the factory ammo and replacing it with reloads before returning it. The store then has the liability for those "unknown reloads" that got into the box some how when they resale the ammo.

At Wal-Mart that's less of a problem as I don't think they ever put anything taken back on the shelf in the store again or at least are not supposed to IAW store policy. They sell it to bulk buyers of returned goods. In fact I think most big box stores do the same and at significant loss to them.

Matt used to work with a "surplus store" locally that bought such returned merchandise in truck load lots. Matt's job was to repair the stuff that didn't work for the store for a share of the sale price they planned to get for it. He usually ended up taking merchandise rather than cash for his efforts tho so that wasn't a real money maker for him. Still he ended up getting some really good deals on things he wanted that way.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 06:00:40 AM »
This is why I try not to buy ammo at walmart. I bought the 50round half case of 12 gage loads that was clearly marked 12 gage small game loads and the ammo maker was Winchester. After I got home I opened the pack to discover 4 boxes of 20 gage. This was back about 5 years ago and at this time I had a 20 gage for dove hunting and I figured rather than taking it back just to deal with it and use the 20 gage insted. I always look and open the case if I can to make sure all is right now.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »
Guys, all of the problems with the child proof and adult proof and tamper proof  and direct strike from an atomic bomb proof bottles is a spin off from some drooler RANDOMLY opening a bottle of tylanol, taking some of the capsules apart, dumping the powder, and replacing it with poison.  There are droolers out there that get off on stuff like that.  You know, shooting folks they don't know and such.  Maybe buying a box of shotgun shells and taking a shell out of the middle and filling it mostly full of some sort of hot powder and then returning the box so he could blow somebody's fingers off. Someboy that he doesn't know or has never seen.

So let's look at this. You buy a box of shotgun shells at Wally World.  And you get the wrong kind.  This wasn't your wife that you sent to the store, this was you. And Wally won't take them back for the very valid reasons noted above.  So you're pi$$ed and want everybody in GB's to boycott Wally's because YOU CAN'T READ????  Give us a break, guy.  :D

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
I gotta agree with the "no returns on ammo" policy. Like it has been mentioned above, WHAT IF someone dummies up a round and substitutes it in the box. INSTANT lawsuit. The way I look at it, I feel lucky that Wally still sells ammo at a good price, leaving me with a few more bucks in my pocket.
Mark

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »
Gatcat;
   Right on..and they are protecting the public along with it !

There are times when we have to step back and look at the big picture. I like buying quality ammo at reduced prices..same with an occasional rifle.
    With all the "public interest" groups that are trying to entrap Walmart in ANYTHING they can..we cannot blame them for being cautious..
         Who knows; couldn't any of these "public interest" groups  set such a trap..and halt Walmart's ammo/gun sales and then get some mercenary law
     firm to attempt to curtail ALL Walmart operations ?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 11:41:47 PM »
As of January 1st 2008 Wal-Mart is no longer allowed to sell ammo here in Massachusetts. i guess the state won't renew their license.
Personally speaking, I don't like shopping there anymore anyway. The Wal-Mart here seems to only hire Latin Americans and I don't have a problem with that....everyone needs to work and No offense to anyone who speaks Spanish but this is an English speaking country and it is rude and offends me when I step in line to pay for items and the girls are chit chatting back and forth in Spanish. Everywhere else I shop there is store policy that the employees there have to use English.
"I don't hunt for the kill, I kill for the hunt!"

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 11:51:50 PM »
So let's look at this. You buy a box of shotgun shells at Wally World.  And you get the wrong kind.  This wasn't your wife that you sent to the store, this was you. And Wally won't take them back for the very valid reasons noted above.  So you're pi$$ed and want everybody in GB's to boycott Wally's because YOU CAN'T READ????  Give us a break, guy.  :D

Where did he ask anyone to boycott Wal-Mart?  :D

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 11:59:52 PM »
Six guns;
          Non English speakers is not a problem where I live, but I can understand your concern. Is Walmart the only large store in that area that hires such people ?
   If you hoist Walmart on your petard and others are doing the same, your displeasure is misplaced and will go unnoticed.
         If however, Walmart is the one major store in your area that promotes shunning the English language, please do not leave quietly, let Walmart KNOW why
  you will no longer shop at their store .
   If enough customers leave and LET THEM KNOW why they are leaving, it may help to change their policies .

If I were to inquire into ANYTHING..I would ask your home state why they have pulled out ammo authorization from Walmart, perhaps someone did get away with
   sabotaging Walmart's ammo supply. That rather explains just why they cannot accept ammo returns ..sometimes we have to look at the whole picture !

I will not overlook the fact that certain groups would like to destroy Walmart, apparently for their own selfish reasons..

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 03:02:24 AM »
Like I said, I don't have a problem with them hiring latin americans , everyone has to work. No its not the only place that hires them, I live in eastern Massachusetts close to Boston, its largely mixed race out here.... Believe me, I've voiced my concerns and let the manager know I was offended by their workers speaking spanish. I think the problem is the all managers are spanish as well.
Them not being able to sell ammo here doesn't really bother me too much, I'm not that much further from a Wal-Mart in New Hampshire so if I wanted to really buy from there I'd just drive a little further in the opposite direction.

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 06:29:05 AM »
Nothing will steam me quicker than a couple of clerks standing behind the check-out counter chit-chatting about dresses and dates and ignoring the customer. I don't care if it's english or spanish or urdu. I have been known to say, in my best drill instructor voice, "how about a little more service and a little less BS." 
Having spent some time overseas, I am kinda paranoid about folks looking at me and talking in some lingo that I don't understand. :(

Offline six_gunz

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »
Nothing will steam me quicker than a couple of clerks standing behind the check-out counter chit-chatting about dresses and dates and ignoring the customer. I don't care if it's english or spanish or urdu. I have been known to say, in my best drill instructor voice, "how about a little more service and a little less BS." 
Having spent some time overseas, I am kinda paranoid about folks looking at me and talking in some lingo that I don't understand. :(

Well, does it get their attention, or better yet get them to stand at attention?  :D :D :D :D