Author Topic: Why is America stupid???  (Read 3653 times)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Why is America stupid???
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2008, 01:31:30 AM »
you are lucky . the Richmond Va. area alone has 3 natural gas suppliers all seem to have different delivery pressures and mixes . The way this all comes to light is that on certain equipment the failure rate is different on different systems and after testing the content of the gas is more often than not the problem . A good example was the use of propane in one system until natural gas lines could be constructed . after all was complete the conversions were made for more than 1000 homes ( the gas supplier made the conversions ) . the water heaters were all propane an in line regulator was added to the connection of each water heater as the conversion . Now we both know that is not a factory conversion . To make it work butane was added to the mix . From your stated experience I feel certian you can see the problems .
I do agree with wise use of the environment as long as it is reasonable and cost effective . I feel that some things become extinct so new things can be born . We must remember man is a somewhat new arrival in the scheme of things .
We must be responsible not ridiculous
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2008, 03:34:39 AM »
Yes, we have extended gas mains into areas that were served by propane.  Most ranges are easy to convert.  They have adjustable orifices and regulators to change from propane to natural.  Sometimes water heaters can be changed easily.  Sometimes it requires completely changing out the burner and gas valve.  Furnaces are the same.  It can get expensive.  The feds require equipment to be as efficient as possible now, and that means being designed for one fuel.  Years ago, most equipment could be changed, by adjusting a regulator or they had adjustable orifices.  Efficiency has greatly improved, but changing from one fuel to another is expensive.  That is also the reason we try to maintain 1,000 Btu gas.  If we have to mix, it is mixed to make 1,000 Btu's. 

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #92 on: April 22, 2008, 05:30:20 AM »
Today we are paying farmers NOT to grow crops. Today we have family farms being abandoned or going out of business at an alarming rate. Today there are more bureaucrats a the department of Agriculture then there are farmers.

We need to just grow more corn and we can grow more corn without harming our food supply. The supply chain will catch up to the demand and the technology will improve if we continue to press forward. Now is not the time to give up on this fuel source. Its time to dig in and get our scientists engaged from a technology perspective and the master minds of supply/demand planning to map out a plan to improve the process. This is a failure our government to map this plan out and "sell it" to the public and industry.

Anything, that reduces our oil imports needs to be examined and forged forward.................wind, solar, hydro, bio, water, hybrib, nuke,
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #93 on: April 22, 2008, 06:24:45 AM »
I really feel it is already known by the smart people but it ain't about fuel or food its about money and keeping certain folks rich ! Both have become regulated in a free country WHY ? To keep prices up , what else could it be ?

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #94 on: April 22, 2008, 06:38:08 AM »
Regulating industries is a double edge sword. Without regulation in Ag as an example, we would likely have yet fewer family farms. Yes, it is to help keep the prices up but that is done to help keep them from going out of business. If they go out of business, the prices will go up anyway because supply will drop and then we will have to import Ag products from south of the boarder or Canada. Take your pick but I rather protect our industries to keep the jobs here. If done correctly and carefully, regulation can be a useful tool to protect American business and keep us self sufficient. What F's things up, is when the greedy interests completely take over the process or politicians take a popular political stand in one camp or another regardless of the real impacts. I expect business both big & small to want to lobby to protect their respective industries. We all do that, protect our interests. Its human nature and business should fight for whats good for them as long as its reasonable. But that's when Gov is suppose to be the mediator and do whats "Right" for the long term interests of America as a whole. That may mean that you and I have to pay a bit more as a consumer today, to keep the business from moving overseas or present risk our national security. Food in my example, is an issue of national security.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #95 on: April 22, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »
I really feel it is already known by the smart people but it ain't about fuel or food its about money and keeping certain folks rich ! Both have become regulated in a free country WHY ? To keep prices up , what else could it be ?

I don't remember where I saw the article, but they had a map of all the addresses where farm subsidy checks were sent in the state of Missouri, and the vast majority of dots on the map were in Ladue, a super-wealthy suburb of St. Louis.  Ladue isn't farm country, it's Mercedes-Benz country.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2008, 06:23:05 AM »
most farmers i know that get the checks are retired and use it as extra income .

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2008, 07:48:59 AM »
most farmers i know that get the checks are retired and use it as extra income .

Now they would have to grown corn and would not get a subsidy. If they don't want to grow corn, then they can find another line of work or lease out their land to someone who does.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2008, 08:16:21 AM »
around here they get paid to not use their land .
I have to be honest i know quite a few that own a few cows and get the tax write off , get paid to not use land and take every free thing they can get . And alot have never been a farmer , just got some land and learned to play the system . others retired and already knew how to play the system .
I am for the family farm but not the fakes !