Author Topic: Forum problems  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Tobiano

• Trade Count: (0)
Forum problems
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:24:15 AM »

Hi All..

Does anyone else have problems with this forum ?

At least 4 out of 5 times that I open this forum it shuts down on me within 20-30 seconds and I get the screen asking if I want to "send a report". If it doesn't crater on me right away it will do so as soon as I open a thread. Don't have the problem anywhere except here, thus my inquiry.

Thanks !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Forum problems
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
That's a problem with your PC, Internet Explorer is crashing, will do that if there's a problem with the program or the PC is infected with malware. I use IE7, never have a problem like that here and am on here as much or more than anyone else. You should get some other info with that message that may help in resolving the problem.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 10:23:01 AM »
Yup I have to agree the problem is either on your computer or at your ISP it's not at GBO. Like Tim I'm on the site a few hours each day every day and have seen no such and neither has anyone other than you reported any such to us and believe me if they were having such they would have let us know.

I'm not computer litterate enough to help with such problems really but we do have folks here who are and you might find help in our Forum for that type help. It sounds to me like you are either using a really old OS or have some serious malware on your computer. If you're on a dial up connection that is really slow that too might play into it.

But our server is running fine at this time and we'll very soon be moving to the new servers with a HUGE increase in server performance. They have the servers and have had for almost a week now but have not yet hooked them into their system and notified Matt he can begin transfer of the data. That should happen one day this week tho as they are not supposed to take over 7 days from receipt of them to having them hooked into their system.

The graphics and banners on this site do place a load on your connection but many use dial up here very successfully and I have in the past myself. At times this silly satellite connection I have is even slower than dial up but the Cable company has promised to connect me early next year so slow internet is about to be a thing of the past for me.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tobiano

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 11:45:13 AM »

Thanks Gentlemen.   I suspected the problem wasn't with this site as there are too many people posting successfully here.
  You've confirmed I need to look elsewhere for the gliche.

Thanks again !

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »
Well I guess the new servers are not up and running yet because this site is running real slooooow at times for me. Everything else on my computer, at home and at work runs fine, but GB's at times won't even load up. That's the price to pay I guess for being the best and busiest site around, so many hits it sloooows way down...and even stops or won't load up some time. It will sure be nice to get those new servers working. This is actuality a fairly new problem on the 2 different computers I use to access the site, it seems to have started about a week or 2 ago perhaps??? It was running fine for quite a while before this anomaly...<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 02:01:40 PM »
It's not running too bad right now, there are 270 users online, when it gets over 300 and specially near 350, it just bogs it down terribly. :'(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
Yeah I have had it bogging down on me lately. I use IE7 and LAN Internet Connection. I can't wait until the new servers are up.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 06:06:37 PM »
No the new servers are not up yet. We've been running a test with a new potential advertiser. Notice the new banner? Matt will hopefully be talking with them tomorrow to finalize things and determine how much income we will be getting from them monthly. If it's as stated to us prelimiarily lots of changes will be taking place here all for the good.

As soon as the test is completed Matt should be getting the new servers up and running and I'm sure way past ready for it. The old one has really been giving trouble this last week as it just hasn't been able to take the load placed on it. It's old and tired and needs to be retired. Just as soon as the test is completed and the contract is signed moving to the new servers will be Matt's # 1 priority.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 01:27:43 AM »
Thanks GB, and to Matt as well who I am sure is burning the candle at both ends. And my thanks to Mrs. GB who has to keep you both on the straight and narrow :D....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
Ohh ok. Yes I have noticed the new banner. I like it a lot. Thanks Bill and Matt.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »
well there must be around 350 on right now because it sure is tough to get the site up. It has taken me a long time to post this, I thought this might be more important than just looking at other posts. This is what I get a lot when I cannot get the site to load up, and at the same time all other sites are up in a flash:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
     Diagnose Connection Problems 

More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page you want to view."

I am happy for GBl the site is so popular and will be happy for both uf us when the new servers are up...<><....:) 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »
I just keeping using the link of clicking refresh until it works. I thought it was me having those problems MSP Ret but I reckon its because so many people are online.

Rick

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »
I think you are correct 30-06 man, to many pilgrims have found their way to this great site!!!!....<><....:)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
I get that same message from time to time myself. When it happens I normally reset my router and delete temp internet files and try again and it works fine. But if the site is having a problem there is a way for you to know it's the server and not your connection to the internet. Look ALL the way at the bottom of any page.

The absolute last thing on each page will read like this:

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 13 queries.

The amount of time and number of queries will vary page to page. But if that time is over a couple of seconds the server is bogged down with traffic. If that number is very low as you see in my example of what it was when I opened this page then the server is not the cause but rather your internet connection. Most times it's my connection when I get it but not always as these old servers do bog down from time to time. Only Matt and Tim aka Quick can fix that. Matt has taught Tim what to do and given him the proper permissions to fix it. Basically I think the fix is to reboot the server kinda like restarting your computer. That clears the bogged condition and things then work right again. I'm not technically competent to be trusted with such knowledge.

I'm hoping we move to the new servers this weekend and will push Matt to make it happen. Looks like the deal we held up on it for is gonna fall thru. We're not willing to agree to the ridiculous terms they want in the contract.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 12:43:19 AM »
Thanks for the info GB, and thanks for keeping on top of things.,You have built a great site that seems to be growing and growing each and everyday....<><....:) 

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 11:13:39 AM »
Ohh ok. Thanks Bill, Matt, and Tim.

Rick

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 11:59:04 AM »
I have today verfied with Matt that he does in fact plan to move the site to the new servers this weekend. So barring unforseen problems Monday you should be seeing the improvement the new servers should make.

That does mean that in the early morning hours the site will be down one or two nights in the next three so if/when you see that after midnight over the weekend you'll know he's busy doing what has to be done.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125