Author Topic: H&R Survivor 45LC/.410  (Read 3175 times)

Offline Maplicito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
H&R Survivor 45LC/.410
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:32:59 AM »
I picked me up an H&R Survivor in 45LC/.410 last week, and I finally got to give it a try this week.  Now that I'm back home, I've thought up a couple of questions.

First - the ejector works fine on the 45's... but I've found some of the shotgun shells like to stick - anyone find that certain brands or types of ammo are better or worse than others for that?

Then, second - I should have tried this while I was shooting, but didn't - anyone know how detrimental it is to the pattern to have the choke out?  I've got a couple of reasons for wondering that - I only finger tightened the choke, but after firing some .410s, and deciding to switch to 45's, I found I had to clamp a vice grip onto the key for extra leverage just to get it out - but also... I'm a little bothered by thoughts of what could happen should someone switch from .410s to 45's, and absentmindedly leave the choke in.

Aside from those couple of questions - I'm quite pleased with it... it's a fun and handy little gun!

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
Re: H&R Survivor 45LC/.410
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 08:25:24 PM »
Well... since I have no answers from anyone yet - I have another question to bump the topic  :)

The user's manual for my Survivor states that the gun isn't intended for slugs.  Now... for anyone who has experience with the gun - does that mean slugs are a big no no?  Or just that the gun isn't designed to optimally use them?

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 03:07:09 AM »
I don't own one, so this is merely speculation on my part.
I would think that the reason the reccomment NOT shooting slugs through it is because 410 slugs are of the foster type and would give you leading problems in the rifling.  That being the case, your accuracy might not be very good with them.  As far as shot shells WITHOUT the choke installed, that would not pattern very well because the shot would be slung all over the place when it leaves the barrel.  That causes voids in the pattern and decreased effective range.
On your last question, I can't really give much advice.  I don't know about the constriction of the choke as compared to the diameter of the bullet on the 45lc.  I do know that if the choke were installed you would be taking the spin off the bullet by leaving the choke installed.  So, it would not be as accurate.  If the tolerances are tight with the choke installed and the 45lc bullet did not swage down well, you could blow up the barrel. 
These answers are based on my limited knowledge of the physics of shot shells and slugs as they relate to rifled barrels and chokes.  I am sure someone will be able to add more specific info to this, as there are those here with much more experience than me.

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 03:51:19 AM »
Thanks for the attempt to answer my questions.  So... as far as I can tell - slugs aren't a big no no, they just take more maintenance because of extra lead fouling?

Unless someone else cares to weigh in, I might just have to take the gun out when I get a chance, and fire on paper to check out the pattern without the choke myself.  Worst case scenario, maybe I need to make sure that the gun is never used for both colts and .410's on the same day - I'd really hate for someone to forget to take the choke out before firing the 45's.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:20:58 AM »
the reason you don't shoot slugs in it is . A standard 410 has a bore diameter of .410-412  to fire a 45 colt safely the the bore is .452  the 410 slug its self is a little under sized for chokes and usually measure .400-.405 there is enough room for a slug to get cocked in the barrel and stopped witch aint good
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline Maplicito

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »
Huh, that makes sense.  No slugs for this gun then I guess - not that I really have a need for them in that gun anyway, but it's always good to know - thanks!

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »
Funny I should find this now. :-[

This is from my 45lc/410 postings.  http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,138564.msg1098573212.html#msg1098573212

Bad day at the range.  I was shooting some new project cases of 9.3x74R design for the 45/410.  First five shots were clocking good but holes looked funny and had about a 3"grouping.  I took a trip down range and saw they were keyed holes.  Scratching my head walking back to the bench I felt my gut stir as I remembered shooting some 410 shells a couple weeks ago!!!!  I left the choke in!  I'm glad the barrel is ok, but the choke tube is split.  I already have a new one in route,but turkey season just changed for my Son.

I think all pressure was already used up and velocity of round pushed thru the choke.  It was a jacketed 250grainer.

Pattern with out tube is terrible unless you're shooting 15 feet max.

Never tried shotgun slugs but was told not too, probably because of undersize slug.

Goodluck.

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline sachel.45

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
i've fired slugs out of mine no problems not that accurate but i could keep them all on paper at 25 yards
common sense is slowly becoming uncommon