Author Topic: BC range report  (Read 359 times)

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
BC range report
« on: April 21, 2008, 06:52:19 AM »
made it out with my new Buffalo Classic twice in the last two days. I started at the 50yd line shooting Rem 300gr. I didn't polish the bore or chamber before heading out, but he first 4 shots were all touching. I then moved to the 100yd line and made a few adjustments to the sight. I was able to put the next 3 shots dead on and within an 1 1/4" of each other. I also had a box of Buffalo Bore 500gr FMJ. They put a warning on the box stating that these can't be shot out of just any gun; and with good reason. OMG does my shoulder hurt. The barrel would jump off the shooting bag a good 4" with each shot. After the first one, I was reaching for the gun case to use as padding. By far this is one of the most accurate out of the box guns I've bought, and it's a beautiful rifle.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: BC range report
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
Nice shooting!! All H&R 45-70s shoot well, so your experience is typical and why they're so popular and why I have 2 BCs and 2 45-70 Handis! ;)

As for the BB ammo, all of their ammo is safe in H&R BCs and Handis, they explain why the 500gr is good for any of the rifles listed in their description.  The recoil is typical of levergun level ammo, and why most 45-70 Handiholics stick with the trapdoor loads like the 300gr Rems.

Tim

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

All the above velocities are recorded from factory stock Marlin rifles with 22" barrels.

When using Marlin Guide Guns with 18.5" barrels deduct an average of 50 fps with the above loads.

We use only factory stock firearms in recording velocities, so that you get true, actual field velocities with our ammo --- not exaggerated test barrel velocities

All .45-70 Magnum loadings are intended for use in the following firearms:
All Marlin Model 1895 variations made since 1972
Browning Model 1885 and 1886
New England Arms Handi-Rifle
Ruger #1 and #3
T/C Encore
Shiloh, Christian and Pedersoli Sharps
New Production Winchester 1886

The 500 gr. load uses a dual diameter, bonded core bullet by Alaska Bullet Works. The bullet diameter in front of the crimp groove is .449 inch, while measuring .457 inch on the shank.  This dual diameter allows for reliable chambering in rifles with short or no throats.  This is a non-expanding Full Metal Jacket bullet designed for the deepest penetration on the largest game animals.  This load is safe for use in any firearm designed for the other BBA .45/70 MAG. LEVER GUN cartridges.

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain