Author Topic: New 12ga Vent Rib won't eject?  (Read 435 times)

Offline tdn

• Trade Count: (7)
New 12ga Vent Rib won't eject?
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:11:19 AM »
I just got my new barrel back from the factory (12ga Topper, 28", vent rib, w/ screw in chokes),  I took it out to the trap range this weekend and busted the first clay and then went to eject the shell and nothing moved. The action opened fine, but the shell seemed stuck in the chamber, the ejector could not budge it. The barrel was straight from the factory. I had to jam a rod down the barrel to eject the shell. I was shooting Winchester low brass #8s.  I tried a few spent Remington and Federal shells through it, and they seemed to eject fine. Could this be simply that the gun does not like the Winchester ammo?? or needed much more of a cleaning from the factory?   
Thanks for any advice or insights you guys may have.   

I must say, the barrel looks and swings great, and with the chokes, you can't beat it!!

I have since given it a good cleaning and waiting to try it out this weekend.

tdn

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New 12ga Vent Rib won't eject?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:21:15 AM »
See the ejector info in the FAQs and Help sticky, you can easily fix the issue by improving ejector function and polishing the chamber, I just did it to my 20ga TDC barrel before I even fired it. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline aaron billings

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 04:02:57 AM »
I saw the reccomendation for using a bb to strengthen the ejector spring but what's the best way to polish a chamber?  my 243 ejects ok if i open it imediately but if i let it cool for even a minute or two nothing will get the shell out except a rod down the barrel.  ab

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 04:42:33 AM »
There are several methods, see Chamber Polishing in the FAQs.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain