Author Topic: Peep Sights or RIfle Sights  (Read 739 times)

Offline STUMPJMPR

• Trade Count: (4)
Peep Sights or RIfle Sights
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »
I'm looking at adding sights to a pardner with 18.5" barrel....I can't decide between rifle sights or peep sights....I will be shooting a combination of slugs, buckshot, or bird shot as needed....
I have never really used peep sights but one time on an M1 carbine....Whats your opinions???

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
Re: Peep Sights or RIfle Sights
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »
Peep sights are always better than open sights.  When you are shooting shot, except for turkey hunting, you shouldn't be looking a the sights anyhow.

It really depends on you.  Many people prefer open sights to peeps, and at shotgun ranges, the accuracy difference is inconsequential.  Can you see the open sights well enough?

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:46:51 PM »
i can see open sights perfectly well....The only reason i'm not using a bead is i plan on shooting some slugs through it and using a bead you can't adjust the point of aim....Its a smooth bore but i still believe i can keep a 3" group at 50-60 yards...This is what i'm thinking about using
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=190235

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:33:39 AM »
I prefer peep sights
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 03:10:35 AM »
I used to use open sights without any problems, then I accumulated too many birthdays and my vision started going downhill.  Nowadays I use peeps (like the one shown in the link above) or reddots.    I can shoot like I was 20 years younger with these types of sights. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 04:07:46 AM »
If you go with the peep, H&R sells the WGRS-HR for $18 that matches the contour of the chamber, the Optima sight in the link has a smaller contour. Williams makes firesight ramps that will match the contour of the shotgun barrel also, they're called shotgun shorty ramps, then just get the appropriate height firesight insert. See Peep and Firesights in the FAQs, there's a link to Brownell's sight height calculator there too. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline STUMPJMPR

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 04:48:04 AM »
Thanks for the help quick....there are so many sights to choose from...I looked at the sight info in the faq's.  I'm starting to lean towards rifle sights.  Since it is a standard shotgun barrel i will probably solder or glue them on like i read about in the faq's....

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 03:46:21 PM »
Another vote for the WGRS peep sight.  I have one that I bought on this forum and I love it.