Author Topic: Nothing to hold scope  (Read 416 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Nothing to hold scope
« on: April 24, 2008, 07:21:00 AM »
I have a Weatherby Accumark in 338/378.  I have a Night Force 3.5X15X50 scope with 30 mm tube.  So far I have not been able to find a set of rings that will keep the scope from moving under recoil.  I am currently using Leupold steel rings and bases.  The first set sheared the screws off on the third shot.  Had to have the holes drilled and retapped. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Nothing to hold scope
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »
Sourdough,
I know those Night Force scopes are big and heavy, and that 338/378 is a stomper.  The "perfect storm" for mounting issues.
I don't know if a T'SOB mount is made for your rifle, but I'm thinking it might be.
I'd try SSK for the mount and you can add rings.  Another suggestion might be to go to larger diameter mount screws as well, if you haven't already.
http://www.sskindustries.com/rifle.htm
I've talked to J.D. Jones before when I had some Encore work done.  He was very helpful. I'm sure he would have some good advice.  I hope this helps.  CM
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
I would change scopes to a more downsized type using low mount rings.

Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x 36mm

yooper77

Offline 3006bluffhunter

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:47:46 PM »
I have seen scope base screws get sheared off like your talking about on them ultra heavy hitters! After getting them retapped  the screws look huge that hold the base on! Maybe bump up to using 3 rings to hold the scope! I know it looks goofy but you need to keep everything to stay put! What brand of rings I don't know! Maybe wider older stock steel rings from someone on GBO here!