Author Topic: How to paint my rifle...  (Read 586 times)

Offline no guns here

• Trade Count: (1)
How to paint my rifle...
« on: May 06, 2008, 04:05:08 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the spray on coatings?  Looking at using the Duracoat stuff.  I can get a camo pattern in a kit.  Not exactly the ones I want but maybe I can make it work.  Anyone know the system that the some of the SF teams use to camoflague their rifles?

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: How to paint my rifle...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 07:57:58 AM »
If you go to the center fire thread and ask for STIMPY he can show you his, he can shore paint
a handi. ;D ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:15:08 AM »
There are several links to threads on the topic in the NEF/H&R Centerfire rifle forum FAQs and Help sticky including Stimpy's projects.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »
I have used the Duracoat stuff and was very unhappy with it.  It chips and scratches just like regular paint.  Therefore, I am not using it anymore.  We went to great lengths to see that we did the job with the Duracoat just like the directions stated.  We warmed the pices up, made sure there sas no oil or dirt on every piece.  Then after several months of curing, they still chipped and scratched.  One trip and the gun looks like it has been beat with stones the way the coating has come off.  No better than the coating last I feel it is too expensive. 

To be honest Rustolium seems to be more durable.  Rog
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »
I'm with Sourdough on this one , the Duracoat is not a very good choice for a rifle , Rustolium or Krylon would be a much better finish , Krylon sells a camo kit that can be had from Walmart which will do a better than average job at about 1/2 the cost .

You can also just buy the colors that you want and taylor the camo to the area or season that you will be hunting .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:47:23 PM »
I have had very good luck with Krylon Fusion paint. Does not chip easy and holds up well. The rifle stock below was painted with it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline no guns here

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »
I'm supposing the Krylon Fusion is a rattle can product right?  I'm going to go after a faded looked with a dark earth or forest green faded to a lighter tan going from forend to stock.  The kicker is I was the "netting" look under it the darker color.  I'm thinking I'll have to shoot the whole thing with the light color and then lay the net over it starting about an inch or two back from the front and then shoot progressively lighter coats from front to back.  That "should" give me the look I want on the stock.  This is based on a look that I have in mind combined with some inputs from a wall mount in my 1-star's office that was done by some of his marines at a former command.  Then I'll have to do the barrel and action.  I think the same look may work for it as well.  I'm just getting really tired of black and silver guns...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline no guns here

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 12:01:08 AM »
Will the Krylon Fusion work on both the synthetic stock and the barrel/action?

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 12:04:06 AM »
I painted a whole rifle with it and worked well. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:22:36 PM »
Fusion is designed for childrens plastic toys.  It is designed to stick to plastic, so it should do well on a synthetic stock. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline no guns here

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:37 AM »
Got a verbal from a SEAL armorer to help me/show me how he does this stuff for the team.  I've got to get over there next week and talk with him.  Maybe (hopefully) that will lead to the chance to play with some SEAL wep's at the range.  Wouldn't mind that in the least.  Found out I also know their number two guy here.  Maybe this will be a good thing for me...

ngh
"I feared for my life!"

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 02:59:02 AM »
I use the duck boat paint , as far as patterns most of the time i give it a light base coat , then layer on coats using ferns and leaves like a template . the leaves show up and the dark color gives a shadow effect . most of the time i used 3-4 colors but have used as many as 5 . I do the same for my duck boat .
It all started with an 870 that i wanted to trade . It was in poor shape and not worth much as a trade in so i painted it and went back to same store same clerk and got $ 125.00 more for it . not bad for a $20.00 investment .
We had a gunsmith in the area that painted guns before factory guns came out camo-ed , he used automotive paint but they had to much shine for me .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !